• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paolo Bacigalupi: The Windup Girl

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
The Windup Girl is easily the best fiction I have read in at least the past 18 months. The all too plausible dystopian future that Bacigalupi's paints blew my mind.

In the not so far distant future, the oil has run out, world economy collapsed, and the white man sent scurrying back home. Global warming has claimed coastal cities. Kink spring-powered skiffs and airships are the new face of global trade. Bio-engineering agriculture corporations control the food supply with constant releases of new varieties of engineered crops that are one to two seasons ahead of the now out-of-control bio-engineered plagues that these corporations long ago released.

The Oil Economy is long dead. Welcome to the new Calorie Economy.

Anderson Lake is a "Calorie Man", an executive for AgriGen. He is working undercover as a factory manager in a kink spring factory in Thailand. His true job is to locate the source of Thailand's pure, untainted fruits and vegetables so AgriGen can exploit them for their own uses. There he meets Emiko, a windup girl, aka, a New Person -- an engineered being with perfect skin, hypnotizing non-fluid jerky movements, and a genetic predisposition to obey. Jaidee is an officer of the Environmental Ministry, aka, white shirts, whose group is locked in a battle with foreign interests who seek to exploit Thailand and also the Trade Ministry. Their paths crossing sets in motion a chain of events that changes everything .

:star5:

This book was ridiculously good. So good that it won a Hugo award. Go get it now.

Last edited:
Read this several months ago and I cannot agree more with the OP.

A vision of an incredibly original post-oil dystopia rendered in HD.

Emiko is incredibly well done. Ebery jerky move is visible to the minds eye.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Book And Reader mobile app

This is a very good read; a highly plausible story with believable characters and intense situations.

Sparky and Bezos are conspirators in a plot to divest me of my vast fortune of stacked nickles, I am convinced of it.

1-Clicked whilst cursing the pseudonym sparkchaser, again.

It kept me up way past my bedtime last night, and made me late for work. I blame sparky.

Hush, you.

I am confused about one early detail regarding the apparent lack of gunpowder...

There have been several references to "spring guns". It occurred to me that petroleum is not necessary in the making of gunpowder, so why no gun that goes boom?

Sounds like I haven't gotten there yet. Patience, dwarf, let the storymonger weave the tale.

I don't have an answer. Maybe the spring guns store more energy than measly ol' gunpowder.

All done and I concur it is well worth the effort. The disc-flinging spring guns annoyed me to the very end with the knowing that ballistics just don't work that way, but it is a highly entertaining read and refreshing in that it is not told from a western viewpoint.

The Windup Girl is easily the best fiction I have read in at least the past 18 months. The all too plausible dystopian future that Bacigalupi's paints blew my mind.

In the not so far distant future, the oil has run out, world economy collapsed, and the white man sent scurrying back home. Global warming has claimed coastal cities. Kink spring-powered skiffs and airships are the new face of global trade. Bio-engineering agriculture corporations control the food supply with constant releases of new varieties of engineered crops that are one to two seasons ahead of the now out-of-control bio-engineered plagues that these corporations long ago released.

The Oil Economy is long dead. Welcome to the new Calorie Economy.

Anderson Lake is a "Calorie Man", an executive for AgriGen. He is working undercover as a factory manager in a kink spring factory in Thailand. His true job is to locate the source of Thailand's pure, untainted fruits and vegetables so AgriGen can exploit them for their own uses. There he meets Emiko, a windup girl, aka, a New Person -- an engineered being with perfect skin, hypnotizing non-fluid jerky movements, and a genetic predisposition to obey. Jaidee is an officer of the Environmental Ministry, aka, white shirts, whose group is locked in a battle with foreign interests who seek to exploit Thailand and also the Trade Ministry. Their paths crossing sets in motion a chain of events that changes everything .

:star5:

This book was ridiculously good. So good that it won a Hugo award. Go get it now.

I've read Ship Breaker by this author...so I'm not surprised that it's good.

Back