• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Parnassus Books

Anamnesis

The co-owner? Ann Patchett, author of Bel Canto.

“I have no interest in retail; I have no interest in opening a bookstore,” Ms. Patchett said, serenely sipping tea during a recent interview at her spacious pink brick house here. “But I also have no interest in living in a city without a bookstore.”

Ms. Patchett is well aware that brick-and-mortar bookstores are closing regularly under pressure from online sales and e-books. The American Booksellers Association, a trade group, currently has about 1,900 independent bookstores as members, down from about 2,400 in 2002.

But she is aspiring to join a small band of bookstore owners who have found patches of old-fashioned success in recent years, competing where Amazon cannot: by being small and sleek, with personal service, intimate author events and a carefully chosen rotation of books.

source

"...by being small and sleek, with personal service, intimate author events and a carefully chosen rotation of books. "

I wish her well. Apart from author events, that pretty well describes a small bookstore that I was always impressed with and where I always found more books than I could buy.

However, what should succeed doesn't always -- hopes frequently running ahead of sober consderation, and business risks being what they are -- so I doubly wish her well. All fingers crossed for her.

Back