• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Patricia Cornwell: Portrait Of A Killer

TownBear

Has anyone read this book? It’s by Patrica Cornwell.

She claims to have solved the Jack the Ripper case. Do you believe?

Researching for 18 months, spending $6 million (yes, that’s 6 million) of her own money & techniques unknown in the late Victorian era, this murder mystery writer says she has solved the mystery of Jack the Ripper. British painter Walter Sickert is her man. (He was once a suspect of the crime, but dismissed.) She points out how many of Sickert’s paintings resemble many of Jack the Ripper’s victim’s ... and I have to admint, looking at her example’s of the painting vs. morgue photo’s... she’s right. Cornwell analyzed roughly 250s letter sent to the police by the Ripper (although some were ruled as hoaxes). Some of the letters (tests showed), bore the same watermarks & some came from the Same 6,000 sheet batch of stationery Sticker used. DNA from saliva on several stamps & envelopes flaps, was found to be shared by just 1% of the population - including Sickert & whomever wrote the letters.

John Grieve, Scotland Yard’s retired deputy assistant commissioner said, if he’d been brought Cornwell’s evidence back then, “it would be neglect not to act on it.” But that was then, this is now.

Skeptics say her evidence only proves Sickert could have written 1 or more, of the hoax letters & that he wasn’t even in England at the time of some of the murders (her evidence indicates he was).

My opinion, is that I don’t have much of an opinion yet, not having read the book. But these clips I’ve read on it, certainly sound rational. It has tweak my interest enough, I’ll be waiting for the softcover to hit the shelves lol

Even if it’s nothing more than a good mystery book (she is a good author after all)... it should be a good read.

I haven't read it, but I may. I have seen it advertised and thought it sounded interesting. I don't read much non-fiction. I think the last non-fiction I read (outside of college classroom requirements) was Helter Scelter (spelling?). It was about the Charles Manson murders. Creepy.

My sister told me about this, and I'm definitely intrigued, but I'll probably forget about wanting to know more about it very soon. :rolleyes:

I read a bit of it and it sounds as though her logic is solid. There was also a t.v. special on a couple of months ago which advanced this same theory, but I don't remember if Cornwell was associated with the show.

Back