• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pearl S. Buck: The Good Earth

Fantasy Moon

kickbox
At the moment, this is my favorite book. I'm sure there are others who have read it so please discuss it with me. :) Pearl S. Buck has a simplistic writing style, but it drew me in and the story intrigued me too. It was one of those books that I didn't want to end.

I did a research paper on Pearl S. Buck when I was in high school. I liked her simplistic style. Her attention to detail was amazing. You might also like her Mandala.

I tried to read this last winter, and could not for the life of me get involved in it. I think that may have had more to do w/ the fact that the only place I had to read at the time was on a crowded bus, and in a busy busy mall food court during Christmas (I was an AM at a retail store, and working 13 hour days when the bus was factored in) I might have to pick it up again.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It wasn't a long book, but it still had the epic feel to it.

I recently repurchased this book, since I'd read it in high school, IOW eons ago, and have yet to reread. But it was at one time one of my favorite books.
Must reread! :)

I'm a little over the halfway point and I'm really enjoying the book. I like the style of writing too and I enjoy the characters very much, they seem very well rounded and real.

I finished today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. as I had mentioned prior the characters were very real, well rounded and this continued as they matured through the story. It was in essence a simple story about the narrator's life and yet it managed to cast light on all life's complexities while staying simple and realistic.

Perhaps the best part of the story is
that as Wang Lung crosses the boundaries of poor to rich how he reflects all that he had been so judgemental of. His family becomes just like the one he had so admired and criticized, they have all the flaws he had seen and said he would avoid. Yet the story was such that you could see no other alternative to his progressing thus and you sympathize with him and his choices. I thought that was very true to life as well, it is easy to judge flaws in others but not so easy to avoid the same flaws in their shoes.

I've read this book last summer. I loved it.
her way of putting the story and making u understand the chinese life is great..

I think if you liked the good earth, try reading west wind, east wind.
yes, I've read this one in arabic but it was really nice.
kind of girly novel

Fantasy Moon - Is it still your favourite book?

Ronny - Nice assessment, I do agree. The characters were very well handled, and they matured gracefully. The life of an ordinary man - completely believeable, sounded like the countless family stories I've heard. Every lifestory, no matter how simple is extraordinary. It felt like an epic because it was so emotionally engaging.

O'Lan had me crying buckets.:rolleyes:

Gem - Yes, it is still my favorite book.

I never did feel sympathy toward Wang Lung. I spent a great deal of the novel just wishing that he would die, especially after the horrible way he begins to treat O-lan. I get my wish in the follow-up Sons (I only read the first few chapters--it just doesn't have the same appeal without O-lan in the story so I abandoned it).

Fantasy Moon,

I didn't know there was a sequel. I guess I will end up reading it, though O Lan will be sorely missed, and I'm likely to get very frustrated with those two sons of hers.

The Good Earth

I am half way through this book and I've been rivetted. Now, however, Wang Lung seems to be turning into a jerk, and everything seems to have happened to this family that could possibly happen, so it could end here and I would say "Great book, lets move on"! LOL
And I, too, have never felt any affection for Wang Lung, just his wife. Maybe because I have big feet too!
Good book, nonetheless. I shall reserve judgement till I finish it.

I really enjoyed this book. It is so touching at times...definitely worth reading (and crying over).

I'm 2/3 of the way through.
First off, I want to say I'm thoroughly enchanted, it's a rich and powerful book, complex in its simplicity. Those who have read it will get what I mean by that.

I'd like to touch on some points that nobody has mentioned. This book, written in the early 1930's, and set in rural China in the 1920's, predates most of us. Has this book given you pause to think, and to reflect? It's not just entertainment value here - this book is incredibly powerful, with the simplest of prose. It's not only about whether or not you think Wang Lung is a good or bad man, or sympathize with this or that character. The characters are a product of their time - with very little ability to break out of the cast that had been set for untold generations.

For one, don't you think about the fact that we, in our "advanced" society, which has existed only for decades, or a century at most, have a totally different concept of what LIFE is all about than the characters in The Good Earth? We wonder what we should do with our lives, why we are here, how we can be happy. Who ever thought about being happy, when they are struggling every day just to eat?

Before the advent of modern communication, transportation, and education, why, the idea of marrying someone of your own choice - and for LOVE no less - was absolutely preposterous. There was no necessity to love your spouse. A marriage was a contract - a bonding of two families, arranged by the head of the household, years before the marriage took place.
The idea of having access to all the goods you want and more - incredible.
The concept of choosing your own profession or career, based on what you want to do - insane.

There is all that, and I think on it quite a bit. We are living the fantasy now. The Good Earth is closer to reality - for the tens of thousands of years of human society. And it can't last! We should count ourselves as miraculously fortunate to live now, even in this crazy world with all its ills. We do stuff, simply because we "feel like it".

And then there is a whole 'nother aspect to this book, and that is the "LAND". There is an implication in the book that the LAND is the only thing really worth owning. That silver, gold, and jewels are temporary wealth and come and go. You are poor and then rich and then once again poor. But if you own LAND you are never truly poor because the land is permanent.

I don't know if Pearl Buck implied this sincerely or ironically - I have not yet finished the book. But it's clear to me that this is a total fallacy.
But, to me it's obvious that the LAND can NEVER by OWNED. The right of ownership is conferred only by a seal on a document, and is only as good as people's willingness to accept it lawfully. Anybody with enough strength can deny your ownership and take what they want for themselves - as we saw happen when the poor overrun the rich in the southern city, in the first part of the book.

The land is permanent - that much is true - but it has the power to sustain only if the weather is cooperative, and one's back is up to the labors of wrenching sustenance from it, and if the robbers, locusts, lords, and whomever, leave you alone to it. Land will pass from hand to hand over centuries - read the poem "Hamatreya" by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

So Wang Lung is deluded if he thinks he really owns his land. But Pearl Buck knows this (?)

In any event, a very thought provoking book. A MUST READ!!!!!

I had thought about the concept of marriage that this book mentions. As a student of history I know how the idea of marrying for "love" is still relatively new when compared to how many centuries it was viewed as an absurd notion for wishing to wed. Then again look how many marriages have lasted when done for "love"... Perhaps the word "lust" would be more appropriate at times?

Back