• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Perdido Street Station anyone?

Samurai Chicken

I'm currently in the middle of this amazing novel...

It took a while to pick up, but when it did...IT DID...!
Miéville's prose is excellent, with some nicely picked words, his action scenes were brilliantly described.

This book has just picked up, and I'm hoping it will keep up just as strongly!

My list of books to read just keeps growing and growing...lol.

Amazon reviews said this book was awesome

It really is, and I really suggest suggest picking this up. It's no Tolkien ripoff, this is some awesome modern fantasy. I'm eager to pick up his second book set in this world, The Scar!

Personally, I can't see what all the fuss is about :)

Great prose but as for the rest of the novel: It's too slow and I found it to be just a mish-mash of other peoples ideas cobbled together. I used to read a lot of comic titles. Most of the comics that I read was from the "mature" Vertigo range by D.C comics. I can tell you a lot of the ideas in the book have been ripped off and put into that book. I thought that the ending SUCKED because it was also dragged out way too much and then they had that whole stupid thing about a certain character. IMO, it was ok but nothing special :)

Chicken, I would be intrested to know if you continue to enjoy it and what you thought about the ending :)

Try The Scar SillyWabbit, it's much better. One of my favs of all time and I though pretty much the same way about you concerning Perdido Street Station.

Originally posted by Oponn
Try The Scar SillyWabbit, it's much better. One of my favs of all time and I though pretty much the same way about you concerning Perdido Street Station.

Ok, I will check it out :) I will place it into my growing Amazon basket now :)

Best Regards
Silly Wabbit

Just bought Perdido Street Station, so as soon as i get round to reading it i'll post my thoughts here! :)

Phil

Great, I would be interested to hear what you think of it, especially since our tastes seem in aligment! :D

Regards
Wabbit

I did enjoy Perdido Street Station, but it pales into insignificance compared with The Scar. It's got pirates in it! Who wouldn't like it?

But to keep on topic so I don't get in trouble on my first post here, I read Perdido Street Station a while ago now and I enjoyed it immensely. Normally I hate descriptive prose, but in this case it really made me feel like I was in the city. I could almost smell the place, and quite stinky it was too. I didn't feel that the story was too slow at all, but I did have a problem visualising some of the races. The Khepri in particular were very difficult to imagine, and I know other people who found the character descriptions a little confusing. I couldn't really identify with the main characters, I was more interested in the actual story than their individual plights, but I did love the Weaver.

The Scar though, is far more action based. It's almost as though Mieville got a lot of the descriptive stuff out of his system when he wrote PSS and was ready to get on with telling the actual story. And you don't need to have read PSS to enjoy it either, so I would probably recommend The Scar over PSS to anyone new to Mieville.

I read PSS a few months ago, and like Litany I didn't have much problem with the pacing of the story nor the descriptive prose, and I also thought that the Weaver was done quite well, though I thought Mieville did a great job with building New Crobuzon (sp?) and creating the various races. I am curently waiting for The Scar to be released in mass market paperback before I buy it

Im about halfway through PSS, im enjoying it so far, it presents a nicely detailed world and has managed to keep my interest up, especially now that theres
a few nasty wee beasties running around
:)

Phil

I am not liking this book that much. :(

I've got another 300-ish pages to go and I'm drifting in and out of consciousness whilst reading it. Characters are appearing to which I say who are you? and, apparently, they appeared for a chapter here or there ages ago. Maybe I'm just tired when reading it but it is, rather dull, and all that pseudo-physics was ultra-annoying.

Sorry to hear that, it might not be worth finishing, as it doesn't change all that much. It gets a bit more thrillery with every page (which was a negative thing IMO) and culiminates in a silly Big Fantasy Novel Showdown (TM) though it actually has a pretty interesting ending after that, with one part of it being somewhat morally frustrating. I liked that, but I've seen a lot of people get mad about it.

I pretty much zoomed through this book, having lots of fun throughout, being caught up in a way that fantasy novels rarely are able to do for me. Still, the first half felt better simply because it made me wonder about where various facets would go. Once things started falling into place, it just became plotty-plot-plot. Lots and lots of silliness throughout, too, it really did at times feel like reading a more adult "The Never Ending Story".
Anyone else get reminded of the compost-heap woman in Fraggle Rock when the damn garbage entity came alive? :D
Incidentally, that phsyics thing was quite fun, I thought. I'm a sucker for silly ideas like that in my SF novels, even if they sometimes make very little sense (Greg Egan being the absolute master as far as I'm concerned, though his are often fun extrapolations of "real" theories)

Looking forward to reading the other two Bas Lag novels, both of which I have purchased.

Øystein said:
Sorry to hear that, it might not be worth finishing, as it doesn't change all that much.

I'll finish it. It's just that I don't read fantasy novels ever. The best I got was one chapter from the end of The Fellowship of the Ring before not liking the genre. Reading this was just an attempt to see if I liked the stuff that wasn't quests for the silver sword of somewhere.

Ah Stewart - should read other fantasy works before plunging to Mieville, as he's on one end of fantasy as Fellowship is on the other. Pick up Guy Gavriel Kay. Trust me.

I enjoyed PSS, but it did get to a point where he was describing so many things (especially places) that I zoned in and out at times. The characters were interesting, and the ending pretty good too. I really like the way Mieville writes, though.

I want to get to the Scar, but no money no read. :)

ds

direstraits said:
should read other fantasy works before plunging to Mieville, as he's on one end of fantasy as Fellowship is on the other.

That was the whole idea; I don't like elves, orcs, and assorted pixie poo.

Pick up Guy Gavriel Kay.

He may be married.

One of the most improtant genre novels to be written in a decade, and my favorite author currently. Perdido Street Station IMHO, is a legiitmate genre masterpieces.

The prose is only matched by the likse of Peake and Wolfe.

Stewart said:
He may be married.
Mieville wasn't available either and that didn't stop you from picking him up...

Anyway, I doubt Guy would mind much. We had a good time ourselves...

ds

Back