• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Persecution

liv

Persecution

Why do you trample upon my dreams

And crush them like dead leaves under your shoe?

You have no right.

I am a person, with feelings.

Maybe you didn’t realize that,

Since you are so wrapped up in yourself.

Vain, conceited, arrogant, uncouth;

There are many words that describe you.

I am not nothing.

I am, in essence, more than you’ll ever be;

And too good

To let your rude remarks hurt me.

Therefore, be gone,

And prey no more on innocent souls

To assuage your insecurity.

Am I to assume, liv, that this is a dramatic poem directed at someone? Perhaps that you were close to?

On the reaction side: I like the voice. There's no question as to what the author (you) were thinking/feeling/experiencing. On another note, I like poems to be more...mysterious(?). Let me try to explain: In fiction (novels/short stories) I've heard it said that rather than DESCRIBING the character's emotions, I should let the reader "figure it out" through the said character's actions and dialogue, etc. I try to take that "maskedness" and apply it to my poetry. Then again, maybe I'm just a sadistic man of letters who enjoys a provocative game of hidden meanings (wow, that sounds weird :p )

That ISN'T to say that I don't enjoy your poem. It's awesome! I especially like the flow/progression of the work as a whole. Keep it up and give us more!

Thanks guys. I wrote that poem when I was getting desperate towards the end of my Creative Writing class last semester, because I had to have a whole collection of them. I basically went back through all the awful experiences I have seen others I know have, and that I myself have had. It was one of those poems that you don't really think about what you're going to say, it just kind of flows out.

(And by "innocent souls" i mean those who have done nothing to provoke angry emotions, but yes, I do feel for those poor hampsters...)

Back