• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Phantom of the Opera, any one?

Crystal

kickbox
The music is simply amazingly beautiful! I plan to watch it again. It is the type of music moive (besides the song of music one) that is more of my thing than Moulin Rouge.

The songs were so beautiful that I was lost. It seemed like I was walking into the film, to be one of them and never returned. Though it is marvelously beautiful, yet I still think the opera version is the best ever.

Go and enjoy it, better with your beloved or the one who loves you, my suggestion. :D

I've heard a lot of bad things about it, but I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I would hate watching it on dvd later and find out that I like it, knowing that I missed hearing and watching it in a cinema.

Now if I could only find someone who loves me, and get them to go and see it with me. :rolleyes:

Don't know. Maybe those people have higher expections or have higher standards about it.

To be fair, the story and the performance are fairly good. and I doubt if 'd rank them as excellent. But what i said about it was the music and the sound, besides, the actor looks nice;)
Seriously, I liked the the voice of the actress.

I was amazed that they could make anything more over the top than the musical, but lots of close up reaction shots will do that. The actress was adorable.

yeah, i think it was pretty nice, but in my opinion nothing is like live, so i stick with the musical version!! i love it when they really sing and you can hear the tremble in their voices!!
:D but it's definetly something to enjoy!!

I want to see this really bad.When i was in high school we sang some of the songs.I fell in love with them i never did get a chance to see it live so i would love to see the movie.

I went to the original production, with Michael Crawford, on Broadway, July 4 1987. Someone gave me the tix. Boy, what suck. It seemed to go on and on. I left at halftime. Guess I'm not a showtune person.

I remember the date because I left in time to catch some awesome fireworks.

"Boy, what suck. It seemed to go on and on. "

That made me laugh. I had the same reaction to "Cats". After all the hype and all the awards, I was left wondering exactly how uncooth (spelling?) I must really be. Biggest waste of my money and time I can remember.

novella said:
Boy, what suck. It seemed to go on and on. I remember the date because I left in time to catch some awesome fireworks.

lol :D Damm, Novella, you another crazy woman. oooh, I missed all thefireworks.

The laugh is worthy my day. You too enjoy, whatever.

Motokid said:
"Boy, what suck. It seemed to go on and on. "

That made me laugh. I had the same reaction to "Cats". After all the hype and all the awards, I was left wondering exactly how uncooth (spelling?) I must really be. Biggest waste of my money and time I can remember.

yeah cats sucked!! it was too much acrobatic and not enough story! i don't think that anybody knows this, but my favorite musical is Tanz der Vampire, dance with the vampires, but i'm not sure that it even exists in english!! :D

Just watched it tonight. There are some pretty amazing songs that I would like to hear again, I really like the scenery in the movie. I would probably have liked it more if they hadn't tried to force singing into all the scenes, sometimes it just felt wrong, although when they didn't sing I noticed some bad acting.
I'm glad I went to the cinema to watch it, it just wouldn't have been the same to watch it on tv with small speakers.

I haven't seen it but I loved the live performance with Michael Crawford, I was just wondering if, like Evita, once you have seen the original performance the film never seems the same because you tend to compare and not really give the film a proper chance, well first time around anyway. Cats, disappointing, apart from *Memories*, love that song.

watercrystal said:
The music is simply amazingly beautiful! I plan to watch it again. It is the type of music moive (besides the song of music one) that is more of my thing than Moulin Rouge.

The songs were so beautiful that I was lost. It seemed like I was walking into the film, to be one of them and never returned. Though it is marvelously beautiful, yet I still think the opera version is the best ever.

Go and enjoy it, better with your beloved or the one who loves you, my suggestion. :D

I agree all the way. So powerful and intense. Never got to see the live show though, sniff sniff. Oneday.... (I watched it with someone who loves me...and he laughed at me for crying. Lol.)

And Cats was awesome! :)

My little sister loved 'The Phantom of the Opera'. But she is a musical fan anyway. I'll have a look at it as soon as they got the DVD at the library.

honeydevil said:
i don't think that anybody knows this, but my favorite musical is Tanz der Vampire, dance with the vampires, but i'm not sure that it even exists in english!! :D

It doesn't. But it's not that hard to imagine:
Roman Polanski's 1969 Movie 'The fearless Vampire Hunters' + the tune of Bonnie Tyler's 'The total Eclipse of the Heart'. Really put me off to hear that on the soundtrack. :rolleyes:

But I heard a lot of good things about it, maybe I'll visit it, since it's currently been played at Hamburg.

Back