• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pink Floyd

SFG75

Any fans of theirs out there? I use to hate them with a passion, but age wisens you up to the good music.:D My favorite song has to be comfortably numb. If there ever was a stream of consciousness band, it would be them. You can also enjoy a great Rolling Stone article on the band here.

When I was in college, 25% of the songs played on the local classic rock station were either by The Beatles or Pink Floyd. I burned out quick on them and have made it a point to avoid them all together for the past 10 years. I'm sure I'll revisit them sometime.

I hate the Beatles, and used to think the same of Pink Floyd, but like them now. The Pulse CD is pretty good.

Still hate the Beatles though.

I hate the Beatles, and used to think the same of Pink Floyd, but like them now. The Pulse CD is pretty good.

Still hate the Beatles though.

I thought you Brits worshiped the Beatles with a fervor that you usually reserve for all things curried.

I hate the Beatles, too. But I used to love them as a teenager. I still like Paul McCartney.

Pink Floyd is okay... must be getting old. :eek:

The Pink Floyd pig went missing the other day. They found it again though. It blew away or something.

I'm a pretty huge fan, actually. At least of the Roger Waters era (1968-ish - 1983-ish). I've never really seen the genius in Syd Barrett, and the albums and tours they made after Waters quit are competent but dull, but... I mean, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, that's some pretty fantastic music. Waters' solo albums aren't bad either, even if he's a much better lyricist than musician.

I'm not sure I'd agree that there was anything stream-of-consciousness about them after 1972 or so, though. Roger Waters' lyrics usually read like a half-decent philosophy/psychology text book made to rhyme; there's a lot of reasoning and planning in advance to it, and with the sort of live shows they played - especially the ones they've done since The Wall - there really wasn't a huge amount of space for improvisation. Which is a bit of a pity, some of those early gigs are amazing.

I really should look up some youtube links.

I really should look up some youtube links.

Done and done. Here's a very subjective PF retrospective.

1967-1971: Psychedelia and improvisations

1967: Astronomy Domine

1968: Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun

1970: Careful With That Axe, Eugene

1971: Saucerful of Secrets

1973-1983: Rock operas and concept albums

1973: Brain Damage/Eclipse

1975: Welcome to the Machine

1977: Sheep

1979: The Happiest Days Of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall Part II

1980: Run Like Hell

1983: The Final Cut

1984 and on: Separate Ways

1984: Every Stranger's Eyes (Roger Waters solo)

1994: High Hopes (Waters-less Floyd)

2000: Amused to Death (Roger Waters solo)

2005: Comfortably Numb (last Pink Floyd performance ever?)

I have always loved Pink Floyd and it seems my children enjoy their music as well. Dark Side of the Moon is one of my all time favorite albums.

I Love the Beatles, too.

Life is good!

I love pink Floyd. I wore out my "The Wall" Cassette listening to it all the time.

--How can you hate The Beatles?

Back