• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Piratica

mrkgnao

I'd like to recommend a series of children's/YA books: Being: a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure upon the High Seas: Piratica - Presented Most Handsomely by he Notorious Tanith Lee, and Being: The Return of a most Intrepid Heroine to Sea and Secrets: Piratica II, Return to Parrot Island - Presented Most Handsomely by he Notorious Tanith Lee (I just love the long titles).

The books are set in an alternate reality, starting in seventeen-twelvety (the equivalent of 1802) in the Free Republic of England (the revolution happened on the other side of the channel here). The heroine is Art Blastside, 16, pirate captain, and her band of pirates (...or are they?). There is, by the topgallants!, lots of very swashbuckling action and a good, highly imaginative, sense of both comedy and drama. Ages, probably 12-13 and up to everyone with their sense of adventure left.

*mrkgnao*

I was actually wondering if Piratica was any good. I have read some Tanith Lee short stories, but I wasn't too sure about that one until just now. I'll have to check it out; I occasionally read "children's" fantasy books for fun. It's sorta my guilty pleasure.

Tanith Lee is good. I remember several of hers. 'The Silver Metal Lover' I recall as being particularly moving - an android love story. I don't even think I belonged to the target readership of that, either ;-)

Back