• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please help!

Jren

I am in desperate need for any good fantasy series that anyone could recommend. I seem to have exhausted the local bookshop, this might be because it's just a terrible bookshop, or it could be that i am not looking hard enough, please help.

Authors whose work i have previously read and enjoyed are:

Terry Brooks
Anslem Audely
David Eddings
Robert Jordan
George RR Martin
William King
Raymond E Feist
Janny Wurts
J V Jones
Terry Pratchett
Tom Holt
Tad Williams
Steven Lawhead
J RR Tolkein
Chris Bunch
LE Modesitt
Robin Hobb
Terry Goodkind
David Gemmel
R A Salvatore
Juliet E McKenna
Katherine Kerr
Kate Elliot
David Farland

I think thats all of them. If you know of any others that are any good please tell me, I've resorted to reading history books about the hundred years war. Not the most exciting of reads. Bye.

The name of the series escapes me at the moment, but the first book is called the Bone Doll's Twin by Lyn Flewelling.

Well, you could try ebooks. Novel Books Inc has very high quality fantasy. Also check out Zumaya, and Mundania Press. Piers Anthony has some new books over at Mundania. Some names - Welsh, *lizzie starr, G. McAbee, St. Clair, hmmm...there are more but those are my favs in ebooks.

thanks for the ideas guys. But what are e-books? maybe it's me just being a complete idiot, but i've no idea what they are or how to use them.

PS I've read the dark materials trillogy, cracking series, really enjoyed them. Bye.

Jren, have you tried Anne McCaffrey?? (must be in even the most pathetic bookshop, usually deemed with its own section called 'Pern' where some very dodgy blokes stand around looking a mite puzzled) ;)

Phil :D

Originally posted by Jren
thanks for the ideas guys. But what are e-books? maybe it's me just being a complete idiot, but i've no idea what they are or how to use them.

PS I've read the dark materials trillogy, cracking series, really enjoyed them. Bye.

***Ebooks are book that you can read on your computer screen or your PDA, or other handheld device. It's really nice for those who live outside of the USA, since there is no shipping fee. And you can get your book within an hour of ordering it. Most cost around $5, but there are some places that have them for only a buck. My book was just released for $3. It's a great way to read new authors, get books without having to wait, and without having to pay shipping. I like the ease of it - I can order without even getting dressed and going outside. And when it's pouring rain as it has been here for days, that makes a difference to me.:)

Not many people have heard of this one as far as I know.

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

It's hard to describe the book. I haven't read many fantasies to know what to compare it too, but I really enjoyed it. It's set on Earth (I think) a couple of centuries in the future and is about an apprentice executioner who gets exiled from his guild. Fascinating stuff with lots of twists in the story. Can be very complex to follow at times though.

Originally posted by igkuk7
Not many people have heard of this one as far as I know.

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

It's hard to describe the book. I haven't read many fantasies to know what to compare it too, but I really enjoyed it. It's set on Earth (I think) a couple of centuries in the future and is about an apprentice executioner who gets exiled from his guild. Fascinating stuff with lots of twists in the story. Can be very complex to follow at times though.

It's one of the most famous fantasy novels of all time, just in recent years it has been neglected slightly. I reccomend it to anyone.

It's said on the back of the book it was recently voted best fantasy series of all time after Lord of the Rings, but when I tell people about it, they have never heard of it.

I guess recently it's all Jordan, Brooks, Eddings, etc... none of which I have had the pleasure of yet.

Originally posted by igkuk7

I guess recently it's all Jordan, Brooks, Eddings, etc... none of which I have had the pleasure of yet.

Wasn't much pleasure in it for me. If you enjoyed Gene Wolfe's books then I believe you may be able to recognise Jordan, Brooks and Eddings for what they are: Uninspired talentless writers that write for money and no for enjoyment.
Try other books from the Fantasy Masterworks series if you liked Book of the New Sun, they're generally very high quality. I particularly enjoyed The Chronicles of Amber, The Worm Ouroboros, Tales of the Dying Earth and Little, Big. Also try Wolfe's other books like Peace, The Knight and Book of the Long Sun.

As if I didn't have enough books to read, and the SF Masterworks series, now I'll be rooting for any Fantasy Masterworks books. Just one month of college, that's all I ask.

I agree about Gene Wolf! I think that he is a really great writer and story teller.

If I may add to the Gene Wolf recommendations???

The devil in a forest AND one of my all time fav books... Free Live Free. I must have read that book at least 6 times :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Thanks guys, I'll look into Gene Wolf and the fantasy masterworks collection. Any other ideas, easters coming up and I'm going to have two weeks to fill (after work, college, friends etc.)

Ps- I've heard of Anne McCaffrey before (nothing but good things), but isn't she more of an scifi writer?

I have never read any McAfferey, but I know she does both sc-fi and fantasy. I have heard her described as sf chick lit. But I couldn't say. She did a load of fantasy books about dragons though.

I've read the dragonrider's series, which is really both sci-fi and fantasy. It partly depends on which book you are reading, which aspect gets the greater amount of attention. I've read some of her short stories, which were very much science fiction, but they were a bit odd.

I wouldn't call her stuff chick-lit...at least, it doesn't seem to appeal to women in the same way as so-called chick-lit. A majority of the people I know who've read her dragonseries are men.

Back