• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please help

Laurena

Somewhere in the early 70’s I was a young tot living in Germany (I’m hoping it was not a German book as I no longer can speak or read German) anyhoo there was this book about a boy and girl and the boy gets kidnapped by this woman I think she is an ice queen maybe evil. And she takes him to a castle and it is all ice. I remember a broken mirror and I also remember a horse and carriage ride to get the castle. The girl is also very sad and I think she looks for him. If anyone could help I would be overly greatful.

Sounds a little like the opening to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, but you'd remember that one I'm sure.

Yes I do remember that one. Thanks but that's not it. I remember it had a lot of pictures. Maybe it was more of a picture book. Ahhh i can't remember what i did last week but this dang book has been haunting me for over 20 years.

It sounds like the Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson, there's many versions of it and it's been made into a few movies.

Ronny said:
It sounds like the Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson, there's many versions of it and it's been made into a few movies.

Yes! I knew I had read that story, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me where it was. Now, I know, and I even remember where I read it. I'm willing to bet this is what Laurena is looking for.

Here's a snippet from my library about it, it was on of my favorite fairytales.

The little children, Kai and Gerda, are inseparable companions until the Snow Queen casts a spell over the boy and takes him flying to her icy kingdom in the sky. All the world is gray and sad to Gerda, mourning for her lost friend. Through a succession of unlikely helpers, however, she passes many tests of courage, reaches Kai in time to save him from prison, and they return to Earth, proving that abiding love can conquer demons.

Ronny said:
Yay for Ronny!! I thought it sounded somewhat fairytale-like. I have vague memories of seeing this as some kind of cartoon.

Laurena said:
Well no, you are not great if you want to eat dogs but you are great for naming that book. Eating dogs bad, giving me book good.

What if it was a poodle? They're pretty pointless as dogs go....

Back