• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Please suggest good Russian writers,

shawelijah

comparable to Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I have read a lot of his stuff and the things i haven't are getting harder to find. Although i will read everything he has wrote eventually, i would like to hear more about Russia and the Russian people as I've come to love it from so far away through the mind of a man in the 1800's.

I'm currently reading Nikolaj Gogol's Dead Souls, which might be right up your alley.

I'm assuming you're already onto Tolstoy? Personally I prefer Dostoevsky, but War And Peace and Anna Karenina are damn fine novels.

If we're talking 20th century, obviously there's Michail Bulgakov, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Vladimir Nabokov... oh, and any fan of Dostoevsky owes it to themselves to read Leonid Tsypkin's Summer In Baden-Baden.

One currently working author I started reading recently and definitely want to read more of is Vladimir Sorokin, who's an absolutely vicious satirist.

Also, for a very fun book on Russian literature as opposed to of it, Elif Batuman's The Possessed (and yes, the title is a Dostoevsky nod).

Back