• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poem The First

Will

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

I don't know what you're insinuating. I put this together over my lunch break today.

I ate a Pot Noodle Bombay Bad Boy and then composed this beauty of a poem for my friends on BAR to enjoy before the beads of sweat had evaporated from my brow.

I don't know what you're insinuating. I put this together over my lunch break today.

I ate a Pot Noodle Bombay Bad Boy and then composed this beauty of a poem for my friends on BAR to enjoy before the beads of sweat had evaporated from my brow.

Thass ok Will, I believe you. Thousands wouldn't, but I do. :innocent:

You misspelled "the" in the first line. See what happens when you self-publish?

Damn, well spotted. That was supposed to read 'there', 'there' being a date in mid-August last year when summer wasn't quite at its peak, but almost was. Hence, 'shall I compare there to a summer day', vs. say a date in early September, when summer might traditionally be thought of to be over, but is actually rocking up with a healthy dose of solar-rays and Morris dancers.

This was not very exciting to read. Where's your imagination?? Did you leave your imagination somewhere? Perhaps you should go find it!

Damn, well spotted. That was supposed to read 'there', 'there' being a date in mid-August last year when summer wasn't quite at its peak, but almost was. Hence, 'shall I compare there to a summer day', vs. say a date in early September, when summer might traditionally be thought of to be over, but is actually rocking up with a healthy dose of solar-rays and Morris dancers.

That's OK, you'll do better eventually. (Especially if you take the advice of real writers and use your imagination, because by exercising your imagination you'll be able to use your imagination so you don't have to repeat the same word over and over again.)

I do like the use of "thou". It adds a bit of swagger to it; not "a thousand pieces of art", just "thou art". Shorter, pithier, makes it more twitter-friendly.

Hah!

LMFAO! Here's a funny story that is kind of in the same "genre." In college, Michael Crichton had an English teacher who was constantly belittling his writing. Crichton decided to submit an essay by T.S. Elliot to the guy as a sarcastic joke--the professor didn't catch on and gave him a "C" on the essay!

Leonardo Noto

I agree with everyone else;

It's a blatant rip off of Shakespeare. You may have started out dribbling a few lines of this nonsense on your lunch break but I fail to see how you couldn't have looked at the total content and not find it at least somewhat familiar sounding.

Yeah, I suppose your only way out of a direct charge of plagiarism is by pleading ignorance.

I don't buy it; neither seems the others (particularly the first critic; Paul).

What I wrote back in '07 was this:

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f21/ipoetry-13206.html

If you compare it to Lord Byron :

She Walks in Beauty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's definitely similar but no where near exact. I go off on my own tangential line where as you start stop and finish in all the footprints someone else made in the snow.

Thumbs down Willie. All the way down.

It's a blatant rip off of Shakespeare. You may have started out dribbling a few lines of this nonsense on your lunch break but I fail to see how you couldn't have looked at the total content and not find it at least somewhat familiar sounding.

Yeah, I suppose your only way out of a direct charge of plagiarism is by pleading ignorance.

I don't buy it; neither seems the others (particularly the first critic; Paul).

What I wrote back in '07 was this:

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f21/ipoetry-13206.html

If you compare it to Lord Byron :

She Walks in Beauty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's definitely similar but no where near exact. I go off on my own tangential line where as you start stop and finish in all the footprints someone else made in the snow.

Thumbs down Willie. All the way down.

thats-the-joke.jpg

LOL! I see where this is going. Why the heck did I stay up late till 4 yesterday when all I needed was some pot noodles? Some people just like to hog all these tips for themselves.

Back