• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poetry

Aaron S.

Can anybody reccomend me some good poetry books, i never used to read poetry but i found it very enjoyable during the year of college i have just finished, but i do not know much about poetry or what do look for.

It depends on what kind of poetry you're looking for.
I like very funky poetry with neat words and styles or really important, deep meanings...I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jim Carroll, who also wrote The Basketball Diaries book, which was made into a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. His books of poetry Fear of Dreaming and Void Of Course are amazing in my opinion.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti was an amazing find on my mother's bookshelf when I was in high school, I think it was Starting From San Francisco. Very odd but I love him.
Audre Lorde is a neat find, I love The Black Unicorn.
Nikki Giovanni's poetry is great, and I also loved Jewel's when I was younger, although a lot of people disliked it.

As MoreCowbell said it really depends on what you're looking for. There are so many types of poetry out there.

Some of my favorites are:

-Walt Whitman
-William Butler Yeats
-Edna St. Vincent Millay
-Winifred M. Letts

I think it just takes reading lots of poetry to find where you feel the most comfortable. My sister tries all the time to get me to read more modern things and I just can't seem to 'relax' like I can with some of the older stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with modern stuff, it just really depends on what speaks to you.

Just recently I came across The Classic Hundred Poems edited by William Harmon which has a very nice selection of poems, many familiar, by a wide variety of poets from Patrick Spens (1325) through Dylan thomas (1953). Only one or a few, at most, from any one poet but very pleasant reading.

Back