• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poetry!

sanyuja

I dont know what kind of reaction I will elicit, I will say it nevertheless.
Poetry... I tried it but failed miserably. When I say that, I mean reading poetry not writing! Somehow, I could never make myself appreciate poetry.
I cant read a poem and say 'Wow!' I dont know why!
I just cant get into the skin of the poet and try to understand what he says. Never ever can I relate to it. But, when it comes to reading prose, I have no trouble.
Am I missing something here?? Or is it that I dont have it in my blood to appreciate poetry?

Sanyuja, I agree with you entirely! I cannot "get into" poetry. Maybe I was put off by the crap we were forced to read at school, I don't know. It is rare that I read a poem and am moved in any way by it. I can appreciate the way it's constructed, or the words used, yet I remain almost completely detached from the emotions it is describing, even though I understand what it is saying. And yet I am quite an emotional person, who can cry at something I see on TV or read in a book. :confused:

Maybe I would enjoy poetry more if I read more of it, but I don't have enough time as it is to read all the novels I'd like to, so I don't "waste time" reading stuff I don't appreciate, such as poetry. The only poem I know is by Robert Frost, and is called something like "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" (or something like that). I do quite like this one, but interestingly I looked it up because I read a verse of it in a novel, and liked it! :D

I’ve written two poems recently just for this site. I wrote them because I wanted to express something that I couldn’t describe any other way. I could have tried, but the prose would have been clumsy and preachy and “outside” the thing I wanted to describe.

Both poems are about elusive, entangled emotions and personal experience. Both are not about generalizations or what other people should think or feel, but what I have experienced and felt.

Sometimes when I try to write in prose about complicated emotional subjects, I find I am just writing around the thing and about the thing, not getting inside the thing.

I think the way to open a door to poetry is to write a poem, looking at a moment or an idea or an emotional place and describing it from the inside out. To me, that’s what good poetry does.

I used to compare short stories with watercolor painting—fresh and quick and true--, and novel writing with oil painting, multilayered, complex, and planned. Poetry, then, is like ink drawing—intensely imagined, yet requiring the viewer to supply some information.

novella said:
I used to compare short stories with watercolor painting—fresh and quick and true--, and novel writing with oil painting, multilayered, complex, and planned. Poetry, then, is like ink drawing—intensely imagined, yet requiring the viewer to supply some information.

that is an awsome way to look at it!! i like poetry, but for example i like william blake and emily dickinson, but i don't really get withman or emerson!!
anyway, i think poetry is feeling not understanding!! if you can't feel anything, it is worthless, even if you understand what the poet tried to say!!
i tried to write poetry, but like everything what i try it turns not out this way i want it to, so i gave it to those who have a better feeling for it!!
:D

sanyuja said:
Somehow, I could never make myself appreciate poetry.
I cant read a poem and say 'Wow!' I dont know why!

That's because the majority of poetry is crap - the internet is a haven for angsty people who think that by writing some stanzas they are poets.

My biggest problem with amateur poets is that they think throwing a coupl e of rhyming couplets together makes for an interesting poem. Of the two pems I've posted here (Down by Magdalena and Going Gentle) I've been fond of the former and not so of the latter - saying that, the first was published.

So, never read online poetry - it's crap. :D

Robert was a good name for a poet in days gone by: Browning, Frost, Burns. ;)

Stewart said:
That's because the majority of poetry is crap - the internet is a haven for angsty people who think that by writing some stanzas they are poets.

My biggest problem with amateur poets is that they think throwing a coupl e of rhyming couplets together makes for an interesting poem. Of the two pems I've posted here (Down by Magdalena and Going Gentle) I've been fond of the former and not so of the latter - saying that, the first was published.

Robert was a good name for a poet in days gone by: Browning, Frost, Burns. ;)

i think a lot of it is crap, but some are really awsome!! sometimes i the things they are not published are much better than the things they are!!
sometimes an amateur can express your feelings better than somebody who studies language!! :cool:

Stewart said:

That's a gratuitous snipe, Stewie, considering most of what's on the Internet is crap and most of what people say and what people post here is also crap. Most published novels are crap. Most movies are crap too. And TV. And shoes. Plastic shoes, ugly shoes, shoes that ruin your feet.

Most of the natural world is not crap, except for the crap, but when it comes to people, well, they sure do produce a lot of crap. I guess the crap poetry is just proportional.

Yeah, but if it weren't for all the crap, what would crappy people have to feel crappy about? And how would forums full of crap survive?

Ell said:
Yeah, but if it weren't for all the crap, what would crappy people have to feel crappy about? And how would forums full of crap survive?

good lord!! what did the world changed to!! people who talk about all this crap in this world :eek: i mean what would exicts if you would eliminate all this crap in this world, you would have nothing to feel good about...
but anyway, who cares you can't change it anyway!! :D

stewart said:
So, never read online poetry - it's crap.
The world would be a sadder place without crap. Just think of all the plants and flowers that need crap to flourish.

So here's some crappy poetry: (Stewart, avert your eyes)

if it weren't for this forum
and its lack of decorum
that people like stewie
wouldn't have to go "eeewey"

if it's all crappy
or overall sappy
just remember to blame it on
internet lexicons

sorry, just couldn't resist :eek:

Very true Halo. Same thing happens with me. I understand every word that the poet has written, still far from understanding the essense. :(
As honeydevil pointed out, I guess its more about relating to the emotions of the poet rather than understanding the words that he/she has written.
And I think you are write Halo, I will have to read more poetry to start liking it.
But, hey, who has the time to read poetry with so many prose around? :D

A dissonate...

There are people who barely feel poetry, and they are generally dedicated to teaching it. ;)

--Jorge Luis Borges, Lecture entitled "Poetry,"

watercrystal said:
There are people who barely feel poetry, and they are generally dedicated to teaching it. ;)

--Jorge Luis Borges, Lecture entitled "Poetry,"

May be I should consider changing my profession ;)

I was thinking about this today. I know a lot of people who read, but I'm the only person I know who really likes poetry. Not sure how I caught the poetry bug, but i wish I could infect other people. There's so many great poems I want to read to people!

Back