• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Polish books

M

member 737

Out of pure curiosity: we write here about works of different authors, from different countries, all over the world. So, I wonder if you have ever read, or at least heard about any book by a Polish author? I'd like to know if any of my writing compatriots is famous outside my country. ;) Thanks for help.

I'm reading a book by Jerzy Pilch now. (In translation of course.) I don't know the original title -- something with "pod" and "aniolem" in it I think. (I'm too lazy to go look it up, sorry.)

Idun said:
Out of pure curiosity: we write here about works of different authors, from different countries, all over the world. So, I wonder if you have ever read, or at least heard about any book by a Polish author? I'd like to know if any of my writing compatriots is famous outside my country. ;) Thanks for help.

I have not read anything by a Polish author. Is there anything you recommend? :)

All I know is my Polski-Angielsko, Angielski-Polsko Slownik (sp?) :)

I don't know if I have a character for the Polish L with the diagonal through it.

I guess it depends if you count Joseph Conrad as a Pole or not. I mean, he was born in Poland, but is generally thought of as being English. Other than that, I can't think of any Poles, though I am not 100% sure.

funes said:
I guess it depends if you count Joseph Conrad as a Pole or not. I mean, he was born in Poland, but is generally thought of as being English.
Didn't he live in the Ukraine? Besides, did he ever write a book in Polish?

I don't know that he ever lived in the Ukraine, but I can't say that he didn't either. He was a merchant seaman for much of his youth. I know that English was his third or fourth language. In any event, I know that he spent the vast bulk of his creative life in England, where he was good friends with Ford Maddox Ford.

He was born in Berdyczów, which I suppose nowadays is in Ukraine. But then neither Ukraine nor Poland were independent countries. Ukraine was a land, not a country, and Poland were divided between two countries. So it could be said that he was born in Russia, Ukraine and Poland.

I'm back!

Sorry for not answering earlier, but I was away. (holidays time! :))

lies said:
I'm reading a book by Jerzy Pilch now. (In translation of course.) I don't know the original title -- something with "pod" and "aniolem" in it I think. (I'm too lazy to go look it up, sorry.)
Jerzy Pilch is a popular contemporary writer. But I haven't read any of his books. How do you like the book you're reading, lies?

BTW, have your brother visited Poland in the end?

SillyWabbit said:
I have not read anything by a Polish author. Is there anything you recommend? :)
Hundreds of books.

Barbarian in the Garden - Zbigniew Herbert
Quo Vadis? - Henryk Sienkiewicz
Solaris - Stanisław Lem
The beautiful Mrs. Seidenmann - Andrzej Szczypiorski
The Tower - Gustaw Herling - Grudziński

Abulafia said:
All I know is my Polski-Angielsko, Angielski-Polsko Slownik (sp?) :)

I don't know if I have a character for the Polish L with the diagonal through it.
May I ask what do you need Polsko-Angielski, Angielsko-Polski Słownik for?

funes said:
I guess it depends if you count Joseph Conrad as a Pole or not. I mean, he was born in Poland, but is generally thought of as being English. Other than that, I can't think of any Poles, though I am not 100% sure.
I read that he cosidered himself as a Pole all his life, but since he wrote only in English, he is rather an English writer.

Unfortunately.

Idun said:
Jerzy Pilch is a popular contemporary writer. But I haven't read any of his books. How do you like the book you're reading, lies?

It's nothing like anything else I've ever read. He writes really heavy sentences. All the changes in perspective will one day drive me mad. It's a shame I have to read it in translation, cause I think the translator didn't do that great a job, and I'd love to see how it was intended, you know?

Idun said:
BTW, have your brother visited Poland in the end?
No, but my sister did, LOL!

Beatrycze said:
So it could be said that he was born in Russia, Ukraine and Poland.
That sounds complicated even for me.;)

Isn't that that before the war (and before dividing our country in XVIII-th century) Berdyczów was our land? Like Wilno, or Lwów?

Well, I would have more books:
"World apart" by Gustaw Herling-Grudzinski
Trilogy by Henryk Sienkiewicz: "With fire and sword", "Deluge", "Pan Michael" (another title "Fire in the steppe")
Henryk Sienkiewicz "Teutonic knights"( also translated as "Knights of cross"), "In desert and wilderness"
Bolesław Prus "The doll"
Commedies of Aleksander Fredro.
Berdyczów was in Poland before the partitions, but after WW1 it belonged to Ukraine.
Abulafia, maybe you will start learning Polish if you have already bought Słownik? It's such a beautiful and simple language...:)

lies said:
It's nothing like anything else I've ever read. He writes really heavy sentences. All the changes in perspective will one day drive me mad. It's a shame I have to read it in translation, cause I think the translator didn't do that great a job, and I'd love to see how it was intended, you know?
I don't even know what is this book about. But I've read a lot of Pilch's articles. He is a columnist in a popular weekly Polish magazine "Polityka" ("Politics"). I usually don't know what he means and stop reading in half of the text.

No, but my sister did, LOL!
Sorry. I remembered vaguely that some relative of yours was going to visit Poland. I thought it was brother.

So, did your sister enjoy her stay?

Idun said:
I don't even know what is this book about. But I've read a lot of Pilch's articles. He is a columnist in a popular weekly Polish magazine "Polityka" ("Politics"). I usually don't know what he means and stop reading in half of the text.
Yes, that's a feeling I get as well. But his style is strangely addictive, somehow.

Idun said:
Sorry. I remembered vaguely that some relative of yours was going to visit Poland. I thought it was brother.

So, did your sister enjoy her stay?
You were right, my brother was planning on going, but he ended up going to Hungary instead, and then my sister went. I think she really liked it. She went backpacking through a couple of countries for a couple of weeks.

Back