• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: Currently Reading

Currently Reading

• Keep the thread as it is

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Keep the thread but remove the 'sticky'

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Delete the thread

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Review the thread each month and delete the older posts

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Please take the time to vote in this poll. I have been asked to point out that all votes are confidential.

Thanks.

Although I voted to delete I would think it wiser just to move it out of a public area than to physically delete it.

I'd like to see it stay, though if it gets deep-sixed, I would hope that you guys put it in an archives section on the site where people can read it, but not post to it. Just deleting two of the largest threads on the board doesn't do it justice IMHO.

I'd like to see Currently Reading stay, because I don't like to go hunting for info about the book I'm presently reading in case I stumble on some undiguised spoilers. It's also great to do a search later on and come up with a list of what I was reading at one time or another. I haven't used this thread much up until recently, but I'd like to keep doing so.

I think that having 'Recently Finished' is redundant, though, given that at that point one should just start or contribute to a specific thread about the book.

i think its good to have this thread. i think we're bound to have newbies post "right now i'm reading [insert book]" w/out looking at other threads first.

Hmm... it's really which one of the two (Currently Reading and Recently Finished threads) you like, and therefore follow.

Personally, since I think it makes sense to talk about a book when you're done with it, I follow Recently Finished, and think that Currently Reading should go. Others like Kook who follow Currently Reading think Recently Finished is redundant. So really it's one or the other.

My 2 cents.

ds

direstraits said:
Personally, since I think it makes sense to talk about a book when you're done with it
What a lot of people are saying is that such discussion should go in the specific book thread where everyone can see their thoughts and spur on a discussion. In the currently/just finished reading threads there is not a lot of book discussion, it's more a list which is not easy to refer to at a later date.

Agreed. But the thing about this thread that makes me like it is:
1. it gives me a broad view of what people have read, and what they thought of it (if they say something about it, but that's not important),
2. it gives me and opportunity to comment on a finished book, and if more people do the same then it's a good indication to bring it to a new thread, otherwise it can just sit there.
3. it gives others a chance to comment on books I've finished. Granted, this doesn't happen all the time, but I'm happy to have the mini chitchat that I'll get when someone does respond.

The thing about opening threads for every book we have completed is we may not have too much to say about it, but just a passing remark or two. If no one else wants to participate or have read the same book, then TBF will have a lot of threads little or no responses. That's no fun, IMHO.

I don't think the Recently Finished thread is there for people to refer to - it's more conversational than your usual threads. I certainly don't go back to that thread to see what others think of a particular book, I look at it to see what people have read recently.

ds

direstraits said:
The thing about opening threads for every book we have completed is we may not have too much to say about it, but just a passing remark or two. If no one else wants to participate or have read the same book, then TBF will have a lot of threads little or no responses.

That's not to say that someone won't come along later who does have an insight on a barely spoken of book. Where better to post about it than a thread dedicated to the book, which is easier to search for, rather than a thread about what you just finished reading that is a list of completely unrelated books in no particular order.

Stewart said:
That's not to say that someone won't come along later who does have an insight on a barely spoken of book. Where better to post about it than a thread dedicated to the book, which is easier to search for, rather than a thread about what you just finished reading that is a list of completely unrelated books in no particular order.
Agree. Or it can be added to the author's thread, if there is one.

*sigh*

Currently Reading is listed right under everybodies screen-name. If ever there was a redundant thread this is it. I can see exactly what Stewart, Shade, Novella, Kook, and everybody else is reading right now every single time they post, without having to go to a sticky and scroll back through possibly 100's of posts until I find thier name.

Look, I'm reading Night Train by Martin Amis....it's right there in all 3000+ posts I've made....in less than 50 pages it'll change to the next book I pick.

clueless said:
Agree. Or it can be added to the author's thread, if there is one.

Yeah. Personally, I'm not fond of discussing specific books in an author thread; I see those as more of a chance to discuss their lives, their tropes, and their impact. I do believe every book should have a thread where possible.

If you use the "show results by posts" function on the search page, then you'll find discussions on the Currently Reading thread easily enough, so that's not the problem. Where the problem lies - apart from in my mildly obsessive-compulsive desire to have things nicely ordered and everything, as Radiohead once said, in its right place - is that if you do discover the mention of a favourite book in Currently Reading, say 250 posts ago, and reply to it there, the chances of anyone pursuing a conversation with you (particularly the person who posted about it 250 posts ago) about it are practically nil. Unless everyone's checking Currently Reading all the time, it doesn't work.

Stewart said:
Stewart, agree with you. Started plenty of threads myself for books I want to talk about. No problems there.

What I'm saying is that the Recently Finished thread is good for all the reasons I've stated in Post #10 of this thread. Don't search for comments on a particular book in Recently Finished (although you can if you want to)... it's not what it's there for. IMHO.

I just realized that I should have taken this in the other thread discussing Recently Finished, since I voted for Currently Reading to go and for Recently Finished to stay. When I said I 'liked this thread' in response to Kook's post here I was referring to the Recently Finished thread. [slaps forehead]

ds

direstraits said:
I just realized that I should have taken this in the other thread discussing Recently Finished, since I voted for Currently Reading to go and for Recently Finished to stay. When I said I 'liked this thread' in response to Kook's post here I was referring to the Recently Finished thread. [slaps forehead]
Hey, at least you voted in the right threads... I deserve a slap or two for my idiocy... and the fact that I can't even think of how to spell idiocy right now. It's such a Friday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back