• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Poll: Your boss

Your boss: good or bad?

• Bad boss and incompetent

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Bad boss but competent

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Good boss but incompetent

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Good boss and competent

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters

mrkgnao

Considering my future, I'm curious about what the odds are for having a good boss... :rolleyes: There are four options: Your boss is a bad boss, i.e. bad when it comes to planning, personnel relations etc, and also bad at the job, i.e. bad at the business your company does; Your boss is a bad boss but good at the job; Your boss is a good boss but bad at the job; Your boss is a good boss and good at the job.
Now let's see if I can get the poll thing to work...

*mrkgnao*

I am the boss so I voted for the good/competent option. But it was an objective vote. Really, it was.:D

In education, you technically have two bosses, one that supervises you and one that technically could overrule your boss. Of the four that I've had, three have been very competent and fun to work for. They inspired me to show up early and to run through a wall if I was asked to do so. Only one was completely worthless. You will find that the incompetent are promoted early so as to get them out of the way of possibly damaging the product, whether it's on the factory or shipping distributor floor, or the classroom.

I didn't vote because I have a number of bosses. My primary boss is a great guy and he's one of the only managers in our place who has any business related education. I moved to his department three years ago because I knew him in a social capacity and I knew he would be good to work with. However, he openly admits that he is out of practice at the day to day business of working for an ambulance service. He jokes and calls himself a "junior dispatcher" and "junior paramedic". My other boss is OK. He isn't exactly the kind of guy I would want to hang out with, but I've been on calls with him and he's alright as a paramedic.

I voted for good/competent - the guy has been running a fish 'n chip shop for 16 years, so I'd be a little worried if he wasn't both of those things. He's also just an all-around great guy. He takes me out for lunch at least one a month, and has taken me to the movies a couple of times (with his family; nothing dodgy :p ). He even invited me to his Christmas dinner last year.

My boss has days of amazing competence and "goodness" and days of complete stupidity and I wonder why I put up with him.

Then I realize I'm stuck with me.

SFG75 said:
You will find that the incompetent are promoted early so as to get them out of the way of possibly damaging the product, whether it's on the factory or shipping distributor floor, or the classroom.

Yeah, but that won't work when the incompetent owns the place, can't be promoted away any further, and the place is so small there's no way to stop him damaging the company... :p

But as to the results of the poll so far, the odds look good! ;)

*mrkgnao*

It's one of Parkinson's laws, isn't it? Everyone is eventually promoted to their incompetence level.

I'm not sure which option to click. My boss is mostly a good guy, but he only took over the company a couple of months ago and it's too early to tell how good he is at running it... let's just say I'm not completely convinced.

Bump! I wish I could vote twice... he is doubly, triply, actually quadruply incompetent, at least, after all... :eek:

*mrkgnao* *mrkgnnnngrrr...*

I'm not sure if I would call my boss "good". "Mediocre" would be a better term, I think. It's not total hell working for him, but some of his actions are not rooted in logic.

Anamnesis said:
I'm not sure if I would call my boss "good". "Mediocre" would be a better term, I think. It's not total hell working for him, but some of his actions are not rooted in logic.

I've found that occurs a lot as management is removed from the trenches of the job. You might have folks who at one time were more actively involved in a given task, but as time goes on and the task changes or becomes more difficult in a different way, management has absolutely no clue. You have to forgive them for the most part. I love the ones who know they don't know anything and thus, stay out of your way and spend their time sharpening pencils and pretending to look busy.

Is anyone amazed at how a business can still operate with an absolute boob as a manager of the place? Do you ever wonder how that's possible? I still can't figure it out for the life of me.:confused: :confused: :confused:

SFG75 said:
Is anyone amazed at how a business can still operate with an absolute boob as a manager of the place? Do you ever wonder how that's possible? I still can't figure it out for the life of me.:confused: :confused: :confused:

I wonder daily...:confused: :( On the other hand, I think it's not unlikely I will have an answer before too long, and the answer will be: The boob ran the business to a smoking wreck, so long and thanks for all the fish. :p

mrkgnao said:
I wonder daily...:confused: :( On the other hand, I think it's not unlikely I will have an answer before too long, and the answer will be: The boob ran the business to a smoking wreck, so long and thanks for all the fish. :p

I think I found your boss, is this him?

456.jpg

:p ;)

beer good said:
It's one of Parkinson's laws, isn't it? Everyone is eventually promoted to their incompetence level.

I'm not sure which option to click. My boss is mostly a good guy, but he only took over the company a couple of months ago and it's too early to tell how good he is at running it... let's just say I'm not completely convinced.
I'm convinced now. He's still a nice guy (even if he is increasingly stressed-out) but he has no business running a company. Seriously. ALL of the salesmen slack off and refuse to do their jobs, and he lets them get away with it. Guess who gets to try and piece it all together anyway?

Back