• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Practice makes perfect?

Samerron

Here's an interesting question:

Does practice makes perfect? Do you believe in merely hard-work?

Here's the link that interested me to start this thread:

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/great_1.html
You will achieve greatness only through an enormous amount of hard work over many years. And not just any hard work, but work of a particular type that's demanding and painful.
If any of you have seen the Japanese Anime Naruto, you notice the theme of Genius vs. Hardwork. Me and my friend are always talking about it.

Yep that quote makes perfect sense -I believe in hard work. Not matter how big a genius you are, without effort and at least a little hard work you won't get very far.

Practice does not make perfect.

Read Stephen King's "On Writing".

eyez, I have read that - but only remember it in a general way, would you be kind enough to explain further what you mean and how the King book demonstrates your point? :)

Well, I believe that genius is much of a skill (not talent) that is mostly developed rather than just gained. Ok, some people are smarter than others but the difference is rather small.

Take this example, you have two minds. one in person A and another B. At a certain age (>18) we see there's a huge difference between the two. B looks a genuis with respect to A, B just knows a lot more or is further skilled than A. I believe that this huge difference was much much less when these two people were born. This difference might be relatively very small that it might be negligible. It is more in the circumstances and the enviroment that they lived in. B parents had spent more time on teaching him at an early stage, plus B has a talent that he has developed through the years, while A spent average time on studies and didn't care about any talent or interest he had. He did the bare minimum and head to TV.

This is between two, but in the real world, it's millions and some people followed an excellent way to develop, and they are what we call them, genius. Just read the article, they have good examples of very successful men.

O.K., maybe I missed the boat here, but don't you thnk that he sucks? And you're quoting him?

:confused:

I think that Eye was trying to say that King has had a lot of practice that he's far from perfect, hence the saying isn't true.

Just a little bit of humor, I believe. Nothing too deep and meaningful :p

eyez, I have read that - but only remember it in a general way, would you be kind enough to explain further what you mean and how the King book demonstrates your point? :)

Stephen King says there are four groups to a pyramid, in pg. 135 of "On Writing." The lowest--the one at the very bottom--are the bad writers, who can't write for sh*t. Above that are the competent writers, who write wooden dailouges, stilted characters and plot, but understand, that alothough a lesbian may be angry, her breasts will remain breasts. Then on top of that are the good writers--which King includes himself. At the very top of the very first level are the geniuses--Shakespeares, the Faulkners, the Yeatses, Shaws, and Eudora Weltys--divine accidents, gifted in a way we can't understand.

And King goes on to say, "While it is impossible to make a competent writer out of a bad writer, and while it is equally impossible to make a great writer out of a good one, it is possible, with lots of hard work, dedication, and timely help, to make a good writer out of a merely competent one." And King continues to explain why this idea is rejected by most critics.

Also, in pg. 178, you can plainly see:

"As with all other aspects of the narrative art, you will improve with practice, but practice will never make you perfect. Why should it? What fun would that be? And the harder you try to be clear and simple, the more you will learn about the complexitiy of our American dialect. It be slipper, precious; eye, it be very slippery indeed. Practice the art, always reminding yourself that your job is to say what you see, and tell the story."

O.K., maybe I missed the boat here, but don't you thnk that he sucks? And you're quoting him?

:confused:

I've never said he sucked. You formed this conclusion without any proof or evidence. Why do you judge a book by its cover? I said--he's writing suck, now, compared to before--please don't put words in my mouth.

I have read almost all of King's work, with the exception of the Dark Towers Series (I hate fantasy). I would cringe at the critics claim that King had diaherra of the word processor. I was living in a state of denial--until I became a writer myself, and began to read his work with an open eye, meticously, in depth, and thoroughly. And I've come to discover, his best works were produced when he was coked up on drugs, guzzling beers and listerine--when he was trying to commit suicide. The written art form must've liberated him, for a while, but because he sobered up, he can't seem to attain that freedom once more; he's limited, like a bird locked back in a cage.

In the early days I was a rabid fan, eating up the masterpieces of King - Night Shift, Carrie, Different Seasons, The Shining, The DeadZone, Firststarter, Misery, and Cujo - then he hit his first rough patch - Desperation, Regulators, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder, Insomnia - all increasingly claustrophobic and dull. And then, his novels turned for the worse, and became even more downtrodden, and crap with books like From a Buick 8, Colorado Kid, Cell, now Lisey's story.

Back