• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

pretty graphic novels

staceass

this may come off a little weird, but... :rolleyes:

i just finished reading v for vendetta, and, as much as i loved it, i didn't enjoy the art work very much -- i actually had some trouble keeping my characters straight because of it, i think.

i'm a bit new to graphic novels, and i was hoping to get a few more while they're on the cheap at dvdboxoffice.com (that's where i've been buying a lot of my books lately... they've got their entire selection of graphic novels on sale this month), just in case i end up not liking them.
is this type of inky artwork that was in Vendetta pretty much standard? are there any particularly nice-looking graphic novels out there?

Thanks for the link. I see a movie is to be released soon.

staceass, it would help if you tell us what your idea of "nice-looking" artwork is. What illustrators and artists do you like? Do you prefer adventure, drama, comedy, etc. when you read a graphic novel?

The best looking graphic novels are the ones painted by Alex Ross. My copy of Marvels is one I treasure and I put it in a solid steel mortar-proof bunker, the book itself cased in multiple layers of plastic protection covers, sandwiched between clear glass in wood veneer frames.

I love it that much.

But then as Occlith said, nice art is subjective. I hated Alex Ross before, but now I like him.

For me, however, the story comes first. The publisher/writer typically finds an artist that meets the atmosphere the story demands, rather than finding a 'good artist' to draw just any type of story. Case in point - From Hell is a great story, but with art like crap. However, the art enhances the story in this instance, which actually moves your attention away from the (admittedly crap) art. :D

Another suggestion - if you like surreal art, you could try Arkham Asylum, drawn by Dave McKean...

ds

a quick googling on arkham asylum and i can tell you that this is a great example of what i'm after.
i think what it is i like about this style of art over the v for vendetta stuff is that the vendetta art seems very crude in comparison-- like it was meant to be a sketch, not a completed drawing...
i like to see skill in art, whether it is traditional or modern. if i can't see that the artist has some chops, i'm usually disappointed. i guess i'm spoiled that way ;)

now the question is... which addition should i go for?

Okay, other McKeans for you then. He did this thing with Gaiman some time back (okay, a long while back) called Mr Punch. I myself have been trying to land myself a copy - but copies are scarce and bloody expensive.

Oh, and watch his movie Mirrormask. :)

ds

direstraits said:
Okay, other McKeans for you then. He did this thing with Gaiman some time back (okay, a long while back) called Mr Punch. I myself have been trying to land myself a copy - but copies are scarce and bloody expensive.

is this it?

Back