• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

QCFA Writing Contest I've entered

Mr. A

The Quent Cordair Fine Art gallery "Haiku and Win" contest, that I was invited to write in, has ended for the inclusion of more entries, but the voting of the entries that have been entered, is still going on until November 5th. This is the FB event contest site:

https://www.facebook.com/events/125948304242590/?ref=22

Please consider GOING TO THAT SITE to "like" entries that you do genuinely like, because each time you do, it counts as a vote. :)
I REFUSE to vote for my own written entries there, as at least one other writer has theirs. If I win, I want it to be solely by being worthy enough of YOUR "like". So please, consider going to that site and simply "like" any that you like of my numerous written entries there, and others written entries there, too. :) Thanks!

I feel I'm at a slight disadvantage because I do NOT have many FB friends, I do not have HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS as other writers there, do. So I have to think of ways to make this advantageous for me, compensate for this. I've figured out one way, but this is another way - by appealing to YOU. Several of my 84 entries have been pulled, or are still pending approval, or when the rules changed, I could not enter some of them, but you will find ALL of them on my FB wall. MANY MANY MANY of them are STILL THERE on the contest site, so please, GO THERE to SHOW ME YOUR "LIKES". I'm thinking of making my 7th published book out of some of them and more I'll write. I wrote all of them in just over a week's time. At around #30, I was like, "Hey, I have so many, I could make a book out of them." So far I am. I've cleverly titled it, Five Seven Five. Never wrote a Haiku or anything like these before this contest. Wrote my first entry, then I soon asked if we could enter more than one. When it was approved, it opened up a vein instantly. (that's an expression, not to be taken literally) And all that flowed out of me. If you don't understand some, ask me about them. Please, consider going to that FB event site. It's so simple. Just "like" entries you like, that's it. Please.

Or, you can talk about my entries here, if you'd like. I seek visibility (not in the "attention whore" sense, but in the Nathaniel Branden, Ellen Kenner, Edwin A. Locke psychological sense of the term) I just want to find my kind of readers, who can value my writing, as it is, for what it is. Thanks! :)

Here is just one of many many ones of mine there. Contest still going on until November 5th.

On my face, sunshine.
In my glass, great tasting wine.
Day off work: divine!

Copyright ©2013 Steven L. Sheppard
All Rights Reserved

Damon-A. H. Denys, "Life's Small Pleasures"
http://www.cordair.com/denys/lifessmallpleasures.php

^Click on the link to see the artwork I based it on, since I can't embed the painting here.

Thanks! :)

If you like that or others of mine on the contest site, please "like" them on the contest site. Super simple, just "like" any that you do there. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Here is another fine example, one that is, I think, the most liked one of mine right now. If any of you like these PLEASE simply go to the link in my first post to "like" it on the Facebook contest page.

He's falling in love.
She's eager to receive him,
for she is in love.

Copyright ©2013 Steven L. Sheppard
All Rights Reserved

http://www.cordair.com/carpenter/images/depths.jpg
awww.cordair.com_carpenter_images_depths.jpg

Last edited:
On my face, sunshine.
In my glass, great tasting wine.
Day off work: devine!

Is that a typo or a spelling error on 'devine'?

He's falling in love.
She's eager to receive him,
for she's been in love
Haiku are short poems that use sensory language to capture a feeling or image... for me the first one does that in the first two lines, but not the last and the second does not. Actually the second doesn't make much sense to me at all. Why would a past experience of being in love make her receptive to him? If experience serves that tends to have entirely the opposite effect.

But then reading of poetry in any form, is an entirely subjective thing.

Spelling error, corrected. Thank you so much! :)

That's why I am calling the book Five Seven Five, and not Haikus or something. My structure is the 5-7-5 and doing anything I want to within that framework.

In regards to that last one, instead of them being in "water" think of them metaphorically/literally as being in "love". So she's been IN LOVE with him, but now he is falling IN LOVE with her, so she's there to receive him, for she's already been in love with him, just waiting for him to requite/join her IN LOVE.

Last edited:
Spelling error, corrected. Thank you so much! :)

That's why I am calling the book Five Seven Five, and not Haikus or something. My structure is the 5-7-5 and doing anything I want to within that framework.

In regards to that last one, instead of them being in "water" think of them metaphorically/literally as being in "love". So she's been IN LOVE with him, but now he is falling IN LOVE with her, so she's there to receive him, for she's already been in love with him, just waiting for him to requite/join her IN LOVE.

I hate to tell you this, but your explanation made even less sense than the poem did. I had absolutely no thought / association with them being in 'water'. And if you have 'already been in love' that means you are now 'out of love' because you are either currently, actively, present tense 'in love', or you are not.

So if she was in love with him, and no longer, or was in love with some one else, and no longer it does not make sense that this would make her receptive to him, who is merely in the process of maybe falling in love.

The title of the sculpture is Into the Depths. Looks like they are underwater to me. I ran with it. I am short on time, library is closing, talk later. :)

Ends November 5th! That's very soon. Please everyone consider visiting the site and "liking" what you like of my written entries there!!!!

I do see what you are saying about the use of "been". It definitely comes off as her seemingly being in a past relationship, or something of the like. BUT, one can say the following in speech, and address this further once I have more time to discuss this:

Him: "I'm falling in love with you."
Her: "I've been in love with you."

It was meant in that way. Like she's been in love with him, she's just there in love waiting eagerly for him to feel the same way about her.

'I've been in love you' means just that ... I have been - past tense.

'I have always been in love with you' means that there is a state of being that is presently and has always been ...

I economized, compressed it, and used the pic. to have the reader put it all together. But what you are saying, I do understand. I may not have the effect I wanted to achieve precisely, I won't rule that out, but I still like it as is and it will stay as is. I will however consider this one again when doing final editing, maybe run it past you to see if the meaning is clear, to you, if I choose to change anything. But, thank you for commenting. I appreciate constructive feedback. :)

I've changed it to that. I think the meaning is clearer, all tenses are in the present. What do you think?

Thank you ever so much for bringing it to my attention. And my spelling error with "divine". Small changes = big difference. I sincerely thank you.

Back