• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

R.A. Salvatore

Drizzt Do'Urden

This man is by far my favourite fantasy author. JK Rowling introduced me to the amazing and sensational fantasy genre, but RA Salvatore made me Love it. He has written dozens of books, although I've been confined to only reading a few of them so far, although I read about 2 a week (Yes, I have an unusually amount of spare time....) Anyway, what do you think of this mans writing?

I think he is great. I have read a lot of his books, but not all of them yet. He tells a good story.

Salvatore has written books for Star Trek and Star Wars as well and they are supposed to be as good as his fantasy stuff

R.A Salvatore

Anyone else read his novels? I was obsessed from 8th grade til 10th. Drizzt rules! Anyone else like all the Wizards of the Coast stuff?

I find them an entertaining light read, and I own quite a collection of WotC publishings, but there's not much more to it than that. Light reading is all it is - very light even, and of dubious quality.

But entertaining nonetheless :) And I shall gladly admit to having enjoyed them greatly when reading them, the books just don't bear any scrutiny, nor should you apply too much brain when reading them - that'll ruin it all :p

Jemima Aslana said:
I find them an entertaining light read, and I own quite a collection of WotC publishings, but there's not much more to it than that. Light reading is all it is - very light even, and of dubious quality.

But entertaining nonetheless :) And I shall gladly admit to having enjoyed them greatly when reading them, the books just don't bear any scrutiny, nor should you apply too much brain when reading them - that'll ruin it all :p

well, isnt that supposed to be the point of reading in the first place? :) for enjoyment? if you manage to get something deeper from a novel, great. but books a form of entertainment before anything else.:cool:

I agree with this totally. I read for fun, to relax, to escape. Not to stretch my mind. I have family and work to do that.:)

CattiGuen said:
well, isnt that supposed to be the point of reading in the first place? :) for enjoyment? if you manage to get something deeper from a novel, great. but books a form of entertainment before anything else.:cool:

I also read books to enjoy the language, not to find grammatical errors as I did in some of RAS' books.

I read books to enjoy something new, somethign I haven't read before, and RAS' books are beginning to repeat themselves a bit heavily, if I wanted to re-read that's what I would do.

They're entertaining, yes, but as I said, of dubious quality, I find myself better entertained when reading Rutherfurd or Dostoyevsky, mindless entertainment I get from the internet and from my computergames :p when I pick up a book I prefer to exercise at least a modicum of my intelligence :)

'Sides, a RAS trilogy lasts perhaps two days, whereas one book by Dostoyevsky can last some weeks.

Not my thing anymore, but I used to enjoy the enjoy the work, and I have a respect for RAS. The Drizzt stories have run past any level of interest I had for them. I hope he recaptures some of the magic with his next effort, which features Jaraxle and Artemis, but the sample chapter doesn't impress.

The last complteed arc - The Hunters Blade - was pretty disappointing.

I havn't read any Salvatore books, but would like to try some. Where do you fine people suggest that I start?

The Icewindale Trilogy was published first, bit I would recommend starting with The Dark Elf Trilogy, which occurs chronolgically first.

I usually almost always advocate reading books in order of publication first, but this is one of the few exceptions Read The Dark Elf Trilogy first (which I still think was RAS's best work in Realms) and than read Icewindale Trilogy - then read in publication order the rest of thw way (if you like it).

RAS's works have lately started being reissued in The Legends of Drizzt series. so should be easy to find (as well as their beign a collected omnibus of the trilogy as well).

Ainulindale said:
The Icewindale Trilogy was published first, bit I would recommend starting with The Dark Elf Trilogy, which occurs chronolgically first.

I usually almost always advocate reading books in order of publication first, but this is one of the few exceptions Read The Dark Elf Trilogy first (which I still think was RAS's best work in Realms) and than read Icewindale Trilogy - then read in publication order the rest of thw way (if you like it).

RAS's works have lately started being reissued in The Legends of Drizzt series. so should be easy to find (as well as their beign a collected omnibus of the trilogy as well).
Ah, thanks a lot :) That's going straight onto my TBR list (which will currently take me about a couple of years to go through :p )

I really enjoyed the Icewindale trilogy, not read any others yet

I managed to kill Drizzt in Baldurs Gate :D
hehehe

Drarren said:
I really enjoyed the Icewindale trilogy, not read any others yet

I managed to kill Drizzt in Baldurs Gate :D
hehehe

quit lying! lol! how the hell? you mean Baldur's Gate 1 right? I didnt kill him but I managed to (after reloading quick save like 20 times) to successfully steal one of his scimitars. it was awesome!:D

I've killed him in both BG 1 and 2. No biggie. If you know what you're doing it's not really a big feat. Of course I didn't do it until I'd played through the game a million times so by then I really knew what I was doing :p

In BG 2 I killed all the Companions of the Hall, my alignment told me to :p

If you are a fan of RAS tthere is a forum for him and some of the other WOTC authors where they answer questions, some of them are on quite often.R.A.Salvatore.com messageboards.

Jemima Aslana said:
I've killed him in both BG 1 and 2. No biggie. If you know what you're doing it's not really a big feat. Of course I didn't do it until I'd played through the game a million times so by then I really knew what I was doing :p

In BG 2 I killed all the Companions of the Hall, my alignment told me to :p

I have never killed Drizzt, LOL, but then again I only played the games once. ;)

But in reguard to the Drizzt books, I agree with Jem. They are a fun read, but that's it.

Back