• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

R.K. Narayan: The Guide

anu

I am a die hard fan of R K Narayan. Be it his delightfully funny Swami and Friends, philosophical English Teacher or slightly off track Bachelor of Arts. There is hardly any of his novel which struck me as unimpressive.

So, the moment I began reading 'The Guide', I knew that I am going to love this story as well. However, the story impressed me much more than I ever expected. The Guide tells the story of a cunning guide Raju, whom destiny pushes towards a hitherto unknown path. He falls in love with one of his customer's wife, Rosie. The ambitious Raju is infected with Rosie's beauty and talent, and soon both of them are adept at stage shows and earning money.

But, within a short time, Raju is convicted and is jailed. And by some strange circumstances, he is transformed into a saint, who is supposed to fast unto death. What would be Raju's reaction to the sudden turn of events, is what the novel is all about. A good story coupled with excellently written narrative, simply loved it.:)

^Narayan as a person was interesting, his literary voice and cultural experience* are important. I don't fare too well with his work however, its fine while reading but if I put it down for a second or two then oft times I forget to pick it up again. I have seen the Hindi adaptation of Guide, Waheeda Rehman is luminous.

**Being from a particular cultural background but being educated and taught in a different language and having to accept a different culture, often, though perhaps not in Narayan's case, at the risk of losing their own cultural inheritance.

I am yet to see the movie Guide, so can't really comment on how much justice it did to the actual work. Though, I am a fan of Waheeda Rehman and particularly enjoy her song "Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai."

And, as far as R.K. Narayan's work is concerned, you are quite right about his being brought up in a conservative Tamil society, and yet his being able to write so luminously in a foreign language, nowhere compromising with the cultural background of Malgudi.

I definitely will see the movie, especially as I really liked the book. Though, I hope the end is somewhat different, our directors do take good liberties :)

Back