• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Read more then 1 book at once?

Drizzt Do'Urden

I did this in school, for Languge Arts. I thought it was horrible. I'd be at home, just starting something like Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" and the next day we'd start a novel in LA. I can't stand it, so I read all my LA novels ahead of time and read my book during the LA Classes.

see that is how i read all the time. i have 2 young kids and so to sit and read for any length of time is difficult. and if i do find that i have a few minutes, by the time i have located what i am reading, the moment may have passed. so i have one in the kitchen, bedroom and one soggy novel in the bathroom for tub time. it seems to work best if i have a couple genre's going, fantasy/nonfiction/history. if i am reading too many books with too similar genre's, it can get complicated.

I'm reading one book with a stepson and another with another every so often. If I'm reading non-fiction I'll sometimes intersperse it with something that takes no brain power. But I spend my life in the kitchen and if I sit down, that's where I am so I keep my book on the table in there.

Have often considered having some books in the bathroom.... once went somewhere where they had books in the toilet cubicles and I really wanted to sit and read, but I had to go and be sociable. Some evil form of torture they devised there!

I can only read two books at once if one requires no real thought, simply for my enjoyment. Like, I'll read a book, but to clear my head in between homework assignments, I'll open up to something lighter. :)

I can't remeber having read more than one book at a time. I like to be in one world at a time.

I usually have two books going at once, but one is strictly bedtime reading. That means that I've either read it before, at least once. Then I have a day-time book, which I pay more attention to.

I've tried reading more than one at a time, but it just doesn't work for me. One will be more interesting than the other and I will totally lose interest in the less interesting book and have no desire to read it even after the other one is finished.

I do occasionally, generally because I don't have the right book with me when i'm out somewhere, but do for some reason have another one. The only thing good about it is that I start into the other book without a break. Otherwise, I tend to read a few magazines in between. I need to let my magazine subscriptions expire.

I used to read at least 4 or 5 books at a time, but now I loose my concentration and the books just don't fit anymore!! I mean a nice and clean lawyer in a suit, jumps into the ozean to follow a mermaid...
=)

Occasionally, but it's only ever a fiction book with a non-fiction. Never two fiction books together.
50.gif
I think I would get confused.

I never ever read more than one book at a time. If a person has expended enough effort to complete a novel, then I feel I should expend enough effort to give it my undivided attention.

magemanda said:
I never ever read more than one book at a time. If a person has expended enough effort to complete a novel, then I feel I should expend enough effort to give it my undivided attention.

Yah, quite a cool way to look at it actually.

I used to read just one book at a time, but now I do two or three. I'm often reading at least one weekly magazine, too.

The wife and I usually read more than one book at a time. She reads up to a half dozen at a time; I'm limited to just a couple -- usually one on my PDA and one dead-tree book. She leaves books scattered throughout the house... one in the bathroom upstairs, one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, one in her office. I'm not quite sure how she does it, but she's a very fast reader and has excellent comprehension and retention skills.

I also only read one at a time, because I like to immerse myself in one story at a time. Even when I had to read books for class...I would read those and then return to my books that I was reading for myself.

Slotdave, I have excellent comprehension & retention skills, too...but I would rather be in one story at a time, unlike your wife. I've never understood why people can't just walk from one room to another to pick up their book...maybe I'm just more dedicated to the book I'm reading. I did buy a purse big enough to hold my book...even if it is a hardback. I always buy purses with that thought in mind: it has to be big enough for a book.

Back