• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

READERS! Help selecting books from various genres!

ABCJohn

Hi, I am a young collegiate male who aspires to be a writer. While I have many ideas, I have a weakness in that I have not read many books. This becomes problematic when trying to write situations in a way to produce certain reactions in an audience. There’s just no reference as to what’s been done effectively without having read similar things. For all you writers and well-read individuals, what books should I read to see helpful examples of the following? (Yes, they're a bit dark, but so is the particular project I'm working on.)

1.) Realistic YA romance from the 1st person female perspective

2.) A 1st person female perspective of violence or sexual abuse (preferably child abuse by a parent, but domestic abuse could work as well)

3.) Telling a story via the 1st person perspective of a person either dealing with severe mental illness or otherwise going insane

4.) A story that creates a truly frightening atmosphere with little-to-no blood and gore (use of ghosts or monsters is acceptable, just no violence)

5.) A story that shows what life is like for patients committed to a hospital ward, but aren’t stuck in bed 90+ % of the time (similar to the movie It’s Kind of a Funny Story)

6.) A 1st person perspective of a detective investigating a supernatural phenomenon and/or government conspiracy

7.) A 1st person perspective of what drinking/doing drugs feels like, from an author with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in the matter

8.) A character dealing with extreme guilt (preferably feeling responsible for another’s death)

9.) A male child’s (8-14) 1st person perspective on romance

10.) Convincing dream sequences used as metaphors for a theme or problem

Just off the top of my head:

For number 2 - The Color Purple by Alice Walker (It's considered a classic, and it's a very interesting read with some rather graphic descriptions of abuse about an African-American girl in the 1930s written in the epistolary style. It's really controversial, but I suppose it fits with your criteria.)
For number 3 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (This kind of works, since the narrator is in a mental hospital, but I think it's up for the reader to decide if Chief is actually crazy or not)

Back