• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in June - Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Hi, can I join in?
I'm reading an author who is new to me - Mark Chadbourn. He's a British author with quite a number of books published, including a couple of trilogies. I've picked up Queen of Sinister, which is actually the second in a series (I didn't realise this when I started it - I was in a hurry when I went to the library!).
So far, the story has brought together a number of characters who are off on a quest in the time-honoured fashion. There are some interesting twists, but I'm not sure yet!

I'm just about to start Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow. I really enjoyed Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, so I'm looking forward to EST!

I finally finished the Fionavar Tapestry (Guy Gavriel Kay) last night - I couldn't stop! I was up until 2am when it finally ended. Such a good book, even though they killed off a few of the characters I really, really liked. *sniff*!!

This month I am going to finish the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. At least up to Naked Empire. I am on Faith of the Fallen right now, so 2 more to go after that. :)

direstraits said:
Kookamoor - AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! Say it isn't sooooo!!!!

ds
Not saying who!!! But you gotta read it, ds, it's great! Then we can commiserate together.

Kookamoor, you've intrigued me! Maybe that series will have to move to the top of my Kay must-read list! Although it's beginning to sound like you can't go wrong with his books. I finished Tigana in a bleary-eyed marathon too! Good stuff!

I'm currently reading Alastair Reynold's Revelations Space, but just got a review copy of Jonathan Moeller's Demonsouled in the mail, which came out last month, so I'm alternating.

pwilson said:
Kookamoor, you've intrigued me! Maybe that series will have to move to the top of my Kay must-read list! Although it's beginning to sound like you can't go wrong with his books. I finished Tigana in a bleary-eyed marathon too! Good stuff!
Mmm... yes, we can morne together. I HAVE TO DISCUSS THIS WITH SOMEONE!!! Gotta go set up a thread in anticipation of you guys reading this one.

Ainulindale - I've tried that alternating between books thing. It's never worked for me, though. I much prefer to immerse myself in one and read it start to end. Otherwise I lose interest in at least one of the ones I'm reading. It's a cool idea though. I know there's a thread already about this, but I recently tried doing it again with Pride and Predjudice, a non-fiction book about the deep ocean, and Kay's Fionavar Tapestry. I've only finished the last one - the other two are still sitting on my desk now hiding under a pile of papers. I hate not finishing books :eek: .

After I'm finished Elantris I'm starting Resurrection by Steve Alten.
After I'm finished Brimstone I'm starting Excavation by James Rollins

My local Library just got The Crimson Sword by Eldon Thompson, Tyranny of the Night by Glen Cook and Dead Beat by Jim Butcher, so maybe I'll crack a couple of those open as well!

Ainulindale - I've tried that alternating between books thing. It's never worked for me, though. I much prefer to immerse myself in one and read it start to end. Otherwise I lose interest in at least one of the ones I'm reading. It's a cool idea though. I know there's a thread already about this, but I recently tried doing it again with Pride and Predjudice, a non-fiction book about the deep ocean, and Kay's Fionavar Tapestry. I've only finished the last one - the other two are still sitting on my desk now hiding under a pile of papers. I hate not finishing books

In a perfect world I'd probably do the same but between reading what I want to read, and making sure I read anything an author sends to me to get a review out in a timely fashion it's simply not possible.

My local Library just got The Crimson Sword by Eldon Thompson,

Mr. Thompson was good enough to send me a review copy and I reviewed that HERE

After I'm finished Elantris I'm starting Resurrection by Steve Alten.
After I'm finished Brimstone I'm starting Excavation by James Rollins

I've read Excavation by Rollins, along with a few other of hi sbooks, which are all generally the same, for some reason I read trashy thrillers too :)

I just read Domain by Alten which is a step above a trashy thriller, and just bad. That said, I want to read the read rest for some reason. :)

I don't know why I read these thrillers, probably because they take like a couple of hours to read and its amazing how many authors write generally the same story.

I just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell based on the recommendations in this forum. So far its one of the best fantasy books i've read recently.

I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - one of my top books from recent years.

I've just finished Duncton Wood by William Horwood, which can be kind of counted as a fantasy book, I guess (very similar to Watership Down, in that the animals are humanised).

I have Haunted by Kelley Armstrong to read next, then The Thief of Lives which is the book after Dhampir. Now Dhampir was one of those whisk-through reads that left me a little dissatisfied, but ended with an intriguing little twist that made me go buy the second. I'm hoping for better from that one.

If any more time in the month, I am going to start my re-read of the Harry Potter series in anticipation of the sixth book being released next month.

I just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell based on the recommendations in this forum. So far its one of the best fantasy books i've read recently.

One of the truly incredible works in recent years IMHO. I reviewed this gem HERE

Ainulindale said:
I don't know why I read these thrillers, probably because they take like a couple of hours to read and its amazing how many authors write generally the same story.

Aw, c'mon...they are both brain candy and a nice change of pace from Elves, Dragons and Wizards!

I've read Jonathan Strange, and while it was a pleasant read and no doubt well-written, I did feel it was too long in places. Clarke did tend to ramble on at times, but it was pleasant rambling. And I did like Clarke's lively and often funny narrative.

We talked a little about Jonathan Strange in an older thread, so if you want you could see what we've said there and add on to that...

ds

Back