• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading more than one book?

wilderness

Hey,
Do any of you read more than one book at once?

I never do, but I'm reading a very large book that its hard to read more than 10 pages in one sitting (heavy novel, intense). So I'm reading a James Patterson book as well, (VERY short chapters, convenient).
This is the only time I would do this though.
Whst do you guys think?
lani

Yes, I do that kind of counterbalancing too. In addition, here's how I answered this question in another thread:

It seems like most of my books have bookmarks in them. I think I'm reading almost all of them at once.

Different books for different moods, seasons, times of day. It's nice to have a supply to dip into as needed.

Then there are the big volumes and the portable ones. Some I have ongoing at home, and others I have waiting for me to grab as I go out the door.

And, of course, I keep getting more. So I might stop reading everthing and spend a couple hours reading a new novel straight through. Then it's back to the rest.

I always have a few books going at a time, which is why I stopped listing a book in my currently reading spot, I didn't know which to put. I'm like Mari I have a couple going on at home, the longer more involved books (at least one in each room), one or two that I pack around for just waiting or riding around with, these are usually lighter quick reads. I can't stand sitting around with nothing to read.

One at a time. Not sure exactly why yet but I was asked that just a couple days ago and didn't have an answer. Still don't.

I used to have a lot going at once, but I find now that I read only one at a time. I think it's because I can become more immersed in the whole 'world' of the book if I am reading only one. The only problem with this is that I don't give slow starting books much of a chance because I'm always wanting to get onto the next book! (and thanks to you guys my to red list has gotten a lot bigger!)

For me it depends on the book - sometimes I will start to read such a good book that I can't put it down (bet that sounds familiar!)

Most of the time though, I have one upstairs, one downstairs and a "heavy reading" book to dip into when my brain works.. :D

One at a time for me. If it isn't good enough to hold my attention, then out it goes.

I've usually got at least 3 of my own working, not to mention what I'm reading to my 7-year old at any given moment!

I usually try to read one book at a time, however sometimes while I'm walking around B&N I accidentally start different books, so I usually have 3 or 4 books that I read the first 50 pages of.

I usually have a few going at the same time. But they are generally also prioritized - my primary, which is a physical book that I'll read given time. My secondaries, which could be an ebook which I read when I'm caught up somewhere without a book, or could be an ebook, which I will always listen to while I"m in my car.

ds

I used to read 3/4 books at once when I was a kid but I cant now. It's definitely the fact that I need to be in the "world" of a book. And you cant be in more than one world at a time. Or can you?! :confused:

I used to be able to read more than one book at a time when I was younger, probably because they generally have quite easy-to-follow plots etc.

However, nowadays I have to read books one at a time, as I forget what has happened in one book if I have started to read another. This can become quite annoying if I'm already reading a book, and I buy another that I really want to read.

One and only one. However, during the school year I have to read books (AND textbooks) for my classes, but those are generally not the type of books I would prefer to read, lol. But I never read more than one "pleasure" book at a time.

I'm normally reading one book at home and another during my lunch break at work.

I don't know why I started doing this, rather than just reading one at a time, but it seems to work for me.

I generally find that I have a longer, more complex book on the go at home, while at work I enjoy something lighter - probably because I need to get away from it all!

I also tend to alternate between 2 or 3 books at a time-usually because I'm always caught up with books for school, which I decided they are only for home reading unless I'm very unprepared for a test. Then for bus rides and spare time at home I get one fiction and other non fiction so I can balance my reading...I get too carried away with non fiction books-not that I can't read the others, but I do have my tendency.

Currently I am reading five novels, a nonfiction book, a couple literary magazines, and the threads on this forum.

Very often I counterbalance with two or three max
Always carry a nice light n easy read about with me.
Three things I can't leave home without..Keys/Mobile/Book
:)

Back