• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reccomendations for "closed circle" mysteries

SirRob

So recently I've gotten into reading mystery novels, mostly (and most normally) murder mysteries. So far my favorite kind is the closed circle kind. A group of people stuck on an island with a typhoon, or snowed in mansion type of thing. I read "And then there were none" and thought that was brilliant. I'm looking for something on par with that. I really love one though that have very highly intelligent characters. My preference though is that none of the characters are detectives. Watching (well reading) characters who are just normal civilians try to solve a mystery really adds a element of suspense to me. I read a series of japanese murder mysteries and was extremely impressed on not only the quality and dynamics of the characters, but the high caliber story telling they featured. Figuring out whether a series of murders was done by humans, suicides, or something else. And all the time the protagonist, when he stops walking he hears footsteps, and when he sleeps at night...something/one is standing over him watching him.

Well in short I would be really appreciative if anyone could recommend some books that are close to the follow criteria (cause after 3 weeks of searching I got nothing):
-Closed Circle
-No detectives (Unless the plot is amazing then please tell me)
-Set close to modern times (no earlier then 19th century)
-Story revolves around murder (or string of murders)
-More intellectual then action (action is rather boring to me)

Also
-Any Locked Room stories which are great as well.
-Basically looking for a very witty whodunit

I give my thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

-Any Locked Room stories which are great as well.

I can recommend The Mystery of the Yellow Room, by Gaston Leroux. I haven't read the book yet, but I saw the movie and was really impressed. That book is definitely one I want to read.

Also have you read Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie? It's one of my favorites.

I second The Mystery of the Yellow Room: it's actually one of the early examples of the locked room subgenre. I'd also recommed reading G. K. Chesterton's 'Father Brown' stories, which often involve locked room murders too.

Ellery Queen and John Dickson Carr also wrote lots of novels on this subgenre. And you can always look up the wiki-article on Locked Room Mystery for more suggestions.

Locked room mysteries

Landslide
i agreee 'murder on the orient express is one of the best locked room/closed circle mysteries written, and the ending is awesome

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

* it's on an island :)
* the main character IS a detective, but i love the plot
* the language/writing style does take some getting used to, but if you're looking for good plot/twists, then i recommend it.

I second the recommendation for Shutter Island. It's been a long time since I've had an good "oh my God!!" moment.

It may not fit the criteria exactly but its a good read.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale.

It dosen't quite meet all your criteria, but take a look on Amazon.

I bought it last week but have not started it yet.

My wife's mystery novels may be of interest to you:
Northwoods Forest Mystery, by Karin Ficke Cook
Death Across the Pond, by Karin Ficke Cook
The 'Ghost' in Bolton Hall, by Karin Ficke Cook

Our web site, thecookcompanies.com has more info.

Mick Cook

My cousin who lives overseas, Pakistan. She is big into reading and she will like this one. The Mystery of the Yellow Room
2.gif

Back