• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

recently publish good old monster style horror books?

Canker

Seems like they are getting hard to find or maybe I'm just not looking that hard. Last fairly new really good ones I came across were Jonathan Maberry's Ghost Road Blues series. Amazon link. It was a bit drawn out but still a well done old fashion good vs evil style horror series.

I've been reading horror for 40+ years, and you're right -- there aren't many "monster" novels. Plenty of vampires, witches, werewolves, etc., but darn few monsters.

There's Shikar by Jack Warner, where the "monster" is a Bengal tiger. The monster in Stinger by Robert McCammon takes over an entire town. An oldie-but-goodie is The Wolfen by Whitley Streiber.

The Amazon page for Shikar lists some other books with monsters. Maybe that'd be a good place to start in your search. Good hunting!

Can I safely assume you've exhausted all the Lovecraft and his proteges? (except August Derleth - he was awful)

I've been reading horror for 40+ years, and you're right -- there aren't many "monster" novels. Plenty of vampires, witches, werewolves, etc., but darn few monsters.

There's Shikar by Jack Warner, where the "monster" is a Bengal tiger. The monster in Stinger by Robert McCammon takes over an entire town. An oldie-but-goodie is The Wolfen by Whitley Streiber.

The Amazon page for Shikar lists some other books with monsters. Maybe that'd be a good place to start in your search. Good hunting!

I've actually read Stinger and The Wolfen already but I've never read anything by Shikar so I'll give him a look. I've read a lot of Vamp and a whole lot of bad werewolf books. Have a thing for werewolves and good books about them are few McCammon's The Wolf's Hour being one. I'm talking more recent books. Even King and Koontz haven't really wrote a monster book in a while.

If you find some, let me know. I like monsters too.

Since you like werewolves, have you tried Donna Boyd? Two of her books are historical fiction with werewolves -- The Passion and The Promise. There's a love story, but the books aren't romancey.

A classic shape-changer/werewolf book is Darker Than You Think by Jack Williamson. He really makes the reader understand the allure of powerful beings -- and how it might feel to be one of them.

Yeah I've read Boyd's books and have been waiting a very long time for her to put out the 3rd book. I've read plenty that are romancey so her's didn't bother me. Haven't read that other one though so I'll look it up.

Back