• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend me a mystery book!

Zubbus

After reading countless lousy horror books, I wonder if you guys can help me find a book with a great story.

I want to read a story about people mysteriously dying off one by one and have no idea who (or what is killing them), like if they were in a cluedo mansion or something (except it doesn't have to be a mansion or anywhere specific at all).

As long as it's that and it's good, the book can be as gruesome or as not gruesome as it likes.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, the all-time example that would fall into this category would prob'ly by Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, but I doubt that it would be exactly what you're looking for.
I'll have to give it some more thought.

Well the title sure as hell sounds right in the money :D

BTW, any quick short replies are welcome too. Might jog another person's memory and all that yadayada.

Another older mystery writer I like is Mary Roberts Rhinehart. The Bat was one of my mom's favorites that she urged me to read, but only "in a well-lit room." I read it when I was a teen, and had to agree it was a little spooky even by my standards at the time. I also liked her Circular Staircase. But Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles is hard to beat..

My thread on another site got the exact same recommendation (And Then There Were None) too.

It's a bit small (186 pages)? Would anyone say another other Agatha Christie books are similar or really good? Cause I found a seller who's selling multiples.

And surely there are more books by other writers who fit the description?

Looking over this thread, I doubt more than ever that the Agatha Christie is really what you're looking for. It really is just a variation on the English drawing-room mystery. There is nothing "horror-tinged" about it.
You might want to take a look at Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series, or maybe F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series. Maybe even Mark Frost's books The List of Seven and The Six Messiahs. (Actually, these last two books might be a good starting place.)

Anything written by Barbara Vine. That's anything that she wrote, I mean -- don't be looking for the title "Anything". :D

Robin Cook is a good mystery writer.
Books like:
Coma
Crisis
Marker
etc., etc.
Everything he writes is a medical mystery where people are dying all over the place:D

Robin Cook

Mysteriously dying off, ey? Lynda S. Robinson's Eater of Souls comes to mind, but you have to read the first three books in her Lord Meren series to understand what's been going on. However, I'd only recommend that if you're a fan of Ancient Egypt.

I just completed Robert Bloch's The Night of the Ripper which takes a new perspective on the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper. I like how his note to the reader at the end mentions how it would be nice that such autrocities end in 1888 and while he's responsible for certain violent liberties in the novel, sadly he's not responsible for the nightly news.

My thread on another site got the exact same recommendation (And Then There Were None) too.

It's a bit small (186 pages)? Would anyone say another other Agatha Christie books are similar or really good? Cause I found a seller who's selling multiples.

And surely there are more books by other writers who fit the description?

Yes, there are. Go to the classics: Robert Lewis Stevenson and Edgar Allen Poe.

They are unbeatable--to this day.

Mysteriously dying off, ey? Lynda S. Robinson's Eater of Souls comes to mind, but you have to read the first three books in her Lord Meren series to understand what's been going on. However, I'd only recommend that if you're a fan of Ancient Egypt.

I just completed Robert Bloch's The Night of the Ripper which takes a new perspective on the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper. I like how his note to the reader at the end mentions how it would be nice that such autrocities end in 1888 and while he's responsible for certain violent liberties in the novel, sadly he's not responsible for the nightly news.

I know who Jack the Ripper is. :)

Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston ( web site ) have a Sherlock Holmseian protagonist throughout many of their "horror" novels that involve mysteries. Check their list on their Web site. Good stuff!

I would recommend anything by Nelson Demille. He has officially gotten me into reading. All of his books are based on research of the plots he uses, but each story is fictional. You never see the ending coming until the last few pages, yet he keeps you wanting to read more and more.

Ripper by Michael Slade. A number of people are invited to an island mansion, and get killed off in various gruesome ways. The dwindling number of guests race against time to figure out who is killing them and why.

Robert Crais, The Two-Minute Rule

Nonstop action through the eyes of a convicted serial killer.

Better than anything Michael Connely produces.

Robert Crais, The Two-Minute Rule

Nonstop action through the eyes of a convicted serial killer.

Better than anything Michael Connely produces.

Isn't The Two Minute Rule through the eyes of a convicted bank robber, out on supervised parole, trying to figure out who killed his son?

Back