• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations Please

JulieSluss

i'm looking for a few good books b/c i'm in a rut right now. i just got through reading The Guardian/Nicholas Sparks and was a little disappointed.

help!!

Hey Julie, welcome to the forum :)

What sort of books do you like? Are you into any particular genre that people could suggest books from?

Phil

thanx!!
i was an english major in college (i'm 28 now) so i love all kinds of books. it's probably easier to tell you what i do NOT like. (watch out i'm an awful speller)
hard core science fiction
harlequin romance
i would appreciate any suggestions...

I'll be the first then...

"An Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk" by Palden Gyatso.
(its actually called some other things in other countries, but its the only book the author has written. I think I've seen it listed as well as "Fire and Ice" or something)

anyway its a true story about a tibetan monk put in jail by the Chinese during the Chinese occupation of Tibet.
its quite shocking the treatment he suffered. A story of true bravery! :)

I cant really describe how good it actually is, and how much it touched me. and I could probably count the books i could say that about on one hand.

thanx! that one definitely sounds interesting. keep 'em coming!!!
i had also mentioned nicholas sparks. anyone have a book idea like "if you like nicholas sparks, you'll love....?"

I have a Nicholas Sparks book at home. I forget what title, I think it is Notebook. Have you read this book?

i have read all of his books except his latest, The Wedding. i have like all of them but the last one i read, The Guardian, seemed a little forced. i loved The Notebook. if you like that kind of thing it is a good one.

Thanks, Julie. I will read it one day, it is in my bookcase and waiting for me to read!

'The Bronze Horseman' by Paullina Simons about American man fells in love with Russain woman during WW2. It's brilliant book. You may enjoy it. Also 'Girl with a pearl Earring' by Tracy Cheilvars.
I am try to think of other books and will let you know. OK.

By the way, thanks for like my cute bear!! :)

cool. i was just looking on another site and they had listed Girl With Pearl Earring as one of their recommendations.
thanks (once again) for your help!

Would it make me any less a man to recommend an Oprah Book Club recommendation? ;)

I read I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

less of am man w/ a name like "hannibal?" uh, don't think so! :) LOL!! i admire a man who can admit his feminine side comes through once in a while! thanx for the suggestion. i'll have to look that one up!

I'm not familiar with Nicholas Spark, so I may miss the mark, but then, I recommend these books to anyone and everyone:
Experiments with Life and Deaf & Loop's Progress by Chuck Rosenthal (out of print, but worth every effort).
Short History of a Small Place by T.R. Pearson
Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac
ugh . . . I'm drawing a blank.

thanx funes...i know how you feel about drawing a blank - that's why i had to reach out for some suggestions...those all sound very interesting. i appreciate your help!

hey, funes
just looked up the Short History of a Small Place and it looks really good. i'm from a small town myself (in SC) so i can totally relate!! THANX!

actually, i don't like Star Wars/Star Trek (sp) kind of stuff all that much but i love topics about magic and some fantasy. i will look up Amercian Gods. i know there's probably not a lot of difference b/w something like Harry Potter and Star Wars but for some reason I think there is...

Back