• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations

chop_chop

I always have real problems deciding which book to read next, and my friends and boyfriend are sick of choosing for me! So which one of the following books would you read next if you had the choice?

"A Wizard of Earthsea" - Ursula Le Guin
"The Clan of the Cave Bear" - Jean M. Auel
or
"Titus Groan" - Mervyn Peake

:rolleyes:

I would do that but I have difficulty concentrating on most books at the best of times, so I don't think I would get on with trying to concentrate on more than one at a time (let alone four like you!)

I would do that but I have difficulty concentrating on most books at the best of times, so I don't think I would get on with trying to concentrate on more than one at a time (let alone four like you!)

Yeah, I get distracted. Which one I like to read at a given moment is due to time and of course, writing style.

O.K., go with the wizard one-that sounds kind of cool.:D

My vote is for Le Guin - I absolutely love the Earthsea books. They're beautifully done and relatively short, so you'll probably get through it quickly. Definitely "A Wizard of Earthsea."

We're going to review this book soon, using video. I know this is an old saying, but sometimes it IS true:
If you haven't read this book, you should.

"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" - By Ishmael Beah

Ishmael is only 27 now, and he lives in the U.S.
When he was 11, and living in Sierra Leone, he was 'recruited' into the army to fight against the rebels.
Stunning, shocking, unbelivable. And to top it off...the guy's writing flows like honey. He speaks about shocking events as if they were ordinary life...and to him they were. My favorite part is where he describes his friends, some so young they had to drag their AK-47's through the dirt because they weren't big enough to carry them.
They should put THIS one up for the Pulitzer.
Beah speaks occasionally around the U.S. I saw him in Seattle recently. He's friendly, modest. You'd never know about the things that happened to him in Africa.
Get it. Read it.

I go with A Wizard of Earthsea, though RobertM's book does sound insightful. I think I've seen it at my local Starbucks of all places-I might have to pick it up. My dad read Clan of the Cave Bear and loved it. I haven't though so I can't give you my opinion.

Back