• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Restore some sense of reality

David181173

I've just voted in a poll on the Independent newspaper's website which asks the question "Was Diana's death suspicious?". Worryingly, from my perspective, the yes camp were just ahead with 51% of the vote - and this was out of over 200 votes. If you share my take on this, you might like to help me restore some sense of reality by voting at:
http://forums.prospero.com/id-argument/messages/?msg=22131.1
Or if that doesn't work, going to the Indy home page and finding the poll from there: http://www.independent.co.uk

I can't believe Britain's most senior police officer is wasting his time investigating a tragic accident.

The press have got so carried away with this that one free newspaper I saw the other day had a front page headline saying something like "Diana: Verdict will by Murder". How could they be so sure before the investigation even began? Though to be fair I guess you might ask me why I can be so sure they are wrong!

It's funny you should mention this because I was talking about this with a friend earlier and we commented on how we humans seem to love a good conspiracy theory. It has been suggested that it shows we have creative minds but some theories are certainly bizarre - as I am sure this will turn out to be.

God, the day she died, was anyone watching British TV - they cancelled about 18 hours of TV to replace it with 'latest updates' - now excuse me, but how can you cancel 18 hours of 4 channels with the same repetitive rubbish?? Just got my goat thats all (please excuse me, its 3 am and ive been drinking vodka for the last five hours :D )

Phil

I think that people regard it necessary to perceive the world as understandable and to have control over their lifes, which is often not possible, like in a case of protecting yourself from a bad luck (poor black cats;) ), or being killed in an accidental car crash. So, people make numerous, complicated justifications after a bad thing has happened, to prove that there was a reason for it to happen, so, there was in fact a way and possibility to stop it. Although it sometimes creates a vision of the world being a place where different secrect organisations and alliances fight with each other, it surprisingly helps to feel a sense of security - because you can always do something to protect yourself from becoming an unexpected, defenceless victim. To my mind, it especially works in cases of tragic deaths of famous people like Princess Diana. For many people seems impossible that such a well-known and influencial person could died just like that .

Looks like another JFK conspiracy in it's early stages. Hey, even Jack the Ripper theories are alive and well. Definitely something hardwired into the human psyche.

And Phil, your drunken postings are much more literate than the ones I see on the other forum I post on frequently (VW/Audi).

One of the reasons this particular conspiracy has taken off is that it gives the newspapers an opportunity to put pictures of Diana on their front pages. More than six years after her death she is still selling newspapers. In my view this sort of celebrity stuff isn't real news, its frothy stuff that many people prefer to interest themselves with rather than consider more sober issues. Having said that, it's easy to be critical of this tendency, but is it any worse than those of us who speak more warmly of fiction than non-fiction elsewhere in this forum?

I'm pleased that the responses so far are in broad agreement with me. When starting this thread I was a little concerned I might be attacked by militant Diana supporters!

Im not an alcoholic!! <hic> In the words of the immortal Withnail -

"Honestly Officer, ive only had a few ales"

Phil :)

Aaaargh, clearly not been a university student in England then, i think all Freshers are made to sit and watch the film 'Withnail & I' as a required induction into university life :) Withnail is the main character, played brilliantly by Richard E. Grant, who starts off storming drunk and stays that way for the whole film :p

Phil

I see,

No I have not been a university student in England, I am sorry to say. ;) Went to a Danish university.

Is the film used as an encouragement or deterrence?

:rolleyes:

Back