• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Matheson: I Am Legend

Martin

I finished this some days ago, and I loved it.

In order to garner some discussion, I decided to not only post my review in the library-section, but also here. Here goes:

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

I kept hearing this title left and right, but I never really picked up on it. It took another post-apocalyptic book, Jose Saramago's Blindness, to bring it to my attention.

The premise is so mind-numbingly simple that it can only be brilliant - everybody on the planet has been turned, through a plague, into a vampire. Everybody, that is, except Robert Neville, who lives in his boarded-up house. During the day he is a hunter; during the night he is the hunted. His goal: to save 'us' by killing 'them. Unfortunately, every night he sees more of "them" and less of "us." And this is where the book stops being a simple vampire story and becomes a showpiece of the genre and eye-opening social commentary.

After hearing the premise of this book some readers may be thinking that it sounds silly, or has been done to death, but believe me; nothing like this has ever been done before. In many vampire novels, the author simply gives the vampires the traditional powers and weaknesses, (crosses, garlic, etc.) but Richard Matheson goes so far as to explain why all this is true. The explanations he gives are extremely plausible within the context of Matheson's fictional world. It seems as if Matheson did a lot of scientific research for this novel, because his explanations of the phenomenon are terrific.

This book has some truly terrifying moments, both in Neville's actions and the general atmosphere of total apocolypse. And then there's the ending; a book that from the start sounds like it couldn't even have an ending, surprises you with one hell of a climax.

A short novel, yes, but Matheson's classic deserves shelf space on all serious SF enthusiasts' shelves. Do not be put off by the fact that the Charlton Heston film The Omega Man was loosely based on this novel; while the film was so-so, this book is absolutely brilliant.

Go on, treat yourself.

This review has been posted here and here.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Any thought?

Cheers

Sounds really fantastic! Been hearing so much about this book and really ache to read this. If I had not just ordered a book off Amazon just now, then would have gone to buy it. But... better behave... just a little :eek: I will keep my eyes peeled for this on Ebay :D

STOP! I must behave... already have over 30 books in my TBR pile... must.. stop... buying... books :eek:

well i guess i can put one more on my tbr list, and vote this on the poll, i'll go downtown tomorrow and check for it.

It really is an excellent book. There was talk of making a film based on it (more closely based than the previous offerings), but I don't know if anything will come of it. Hollywood would probably have to turn the vampires into robots or something.

I was underwhelmed. It didn't really meet my expectations. I might read it again though to see if I missed anything.

It really is an excellent book. There was talk of making a film based on it (more closely based than the previous offerings), but I don't know if anything will come of it. Hollywood would probably have to turn the vampires into robots or something.
After the horrible Omega Man, and another one of which I don't know the title, there has been talk recently of Ridley (Gladiator) Scott doing a third version.

We'll see.

Cheers

I read it ages ago and loved it. I only read it because I was going through a sf phase and it was No2 in the sf masterworks series. It was definitely unlike anythin I had ever read before.

I loved all the science behind why garlic, and why crosses and the ending was great. Didn't see it coming.

Stonkingly good book.
:D

Yeah, I loved the ending, too. Like I said in the review, throughout the book I kept wondering about how Matheson was going to end this - I just couldn't think of an ending. Thank god he could.

Cheers

I thoroughly enjoyed reading I am Legend.

The purported Film by Ridley Scott has been in talks for eons, Arnold Schwarzenegger was set to star. Well, before He decided to do T3 and become Governator this project has been shelved. No talks of resurrection (sic.) yet.

Martin said:
Like I said in the review, throughout the book I kept wondering about how Matheson was going to end this - I just couldn't think of an ending.

Exactly what I thought - and then it knocks your bloody socks off doesn't it? Excellent book, read it in one sitting in about 3 hours, I just couldn't put it down.

Legend

what i liked about it was the character's attitude. he's troubled by vampires, but still there are more things occuping his mind. like women and his interest in the vampires biology.

Overall i thought i was good (8/10).

I liked the scientific basis, far more sensical than other attempts (eg. Jack Williamson's Darker than you think explains werewolves by giving them the ability to alter reality for no reason except when silver is nearby [again for no reason]).
The only problem i found was that it took Neville to discover the cause of it all. The plague didn't strike everyone silmultaeously, yet non of the doctors or scientists did blood tests? Not likely (i guess it might have been kept a secret form the public, but that doesn't seem to be how america handles contagious disease scares.)

I thought the obsession with women wa a bit silly (especially the dead ones) :confused: . Plenty of people in real life go without sex yet don't have to drink themselves into a stupor to avoid shagging the zombie neighbors wife. :D Not me of course!

My zombie neighbour is gagging for it :eek:

Back