• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robin McKinley

Deerskin

Robin McKinley is one of the best discoveries I have made in the past year - a recommendation at Amazon led me to read 'Beauty', and I followed this with 'Deerskin' and 'The Hero and the Crown', and am looking forward to more. Deerskin particularly was quite disturbing in parts and would not be to everyone's taste, but I found it a very optimistic and beautiful story.

I especially liked the ending;

And she promised herself and Ossin, and Ash and the puppies, that she would try to stay there, for as long as the length of their lives; that she would put her strength now and hereafter into staying and not fleeing. But I do not know how strong I am, she said. I cannot promise.
It is enough, said Ossin. For who can make such promises? No one of us is so whole that he can see the future.

What a beautiful way to end a story, and far more inspirational and moving than 'and they lived happily ever after'! The uncertainty gives a sense of 'reality' and of a new beginning, both exiting and frightening, in the way a new beginning often is.

Any other fans out there?

Yes!! i love her!! she is the best!! i really liked Beauty and Sunshine. how is the hero and the crown? is it good? i have been debating upon getting it for sometime now and i want the opinion of someone who has already read it! unfortunatly for me, none of my other friends have...

Robin McKinley is one of my favorite authors, I've read all of her books but the short stories(anybody reccomend those?). My tip top favorites were Sunshine, Deerskin and her two Beauty and the Beast novels. But for some reason I REALLY did not like The Blue Sword! Perhaps I should give it another try.
Daughter of the Forest reminded me very much of Deerskin, and is another good read. And Patricia A. McKillip's The Forgotten Beasts of Eld also reminded me of McKinley's writing style.

AmyPenthesilea said:
Robin McKinley is one of my favorite authors, I've read all of her books but the short stories(anybody reccomend those?). My tip top favorites were Sunshine, Deerskin and her two Beauty and the Beast novels. But for some reason I REALLY did not like The Blue Sword! Perhaps I should give it another try.
Daughter of the Forest reminded me very much of Deerskin, and is another good read. And Patricia A. McKillip's The Forgotten Beasts of Eld also reminded me of McKinley's writing style.

Is there any Robin McKinley book you'd recommend in particular? I've never read her but I'm interested in trying her out. :)

I loved Beauty.. Beauty and Beast have always been my fav.. love the retelling.

Spindle's End, also by McKinley is also good.... its a retelling of Sleeping Beauty

She's on of those author's I'd like to try, but my library doesnt have her books and I've so many others I want to buy first.
I will get one of her books at some point.

Which book would be the best to get first?

Back