• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ryūnosuke Akutagawa

Sabenankh

Has anyone read "RASHOMON"? I did and i enjoyed it very much... but still i think i like other japanese authors a bit more MISHIMA, INOUE, YOSHIKAWA, of course MURAKAMI. Can you tell me what you think?

Sabenankh said:
Has anyone read "RASHOMON"? I did and i enjoyed it very much... but still i think i like other japanese authors a bit more MISHIMA, INOUE, YOSHIKAWA, of course MURAKAMI. Can you tell me what you think?
Well, I've seen the Kirisuwa film of Rashomon, I didn't realise it was a book as well. I shall put it on my Amazon wish list; 'Musashi' by Yoshikawa has been on my to be read list for a while. Mishima and Murikami are favourites of mine already, along with some other Japanesse writers like Akira Yoshimura, Banana Yoshimoto, Kenzaburo Oe and Yasunari Kawabata. BTW it's worth getting a biograpthy of Mishima if you can, as he was one strange cat.

First of all, so nice to find a fellow japanese literature lover:D
I do know some things reguarding Mishima's byography but didn't know there was a book on it, however i've been wanting to buy a collection of articles written on Mishima by french author Marguerite Yourcenar, and seeing that she herself was quite an interesting figure i really want to know what she has to say about him, i'll put the biography on my "to buy" list next to that, thank you for the tip.
"Musashi" by Yoshikawa is a book well worth reading, i spent two and a half days reading it, only stopping to eat and to sleep (well i do that sometimes, i'm a weirdo what can i say, plus i was on summer break) and i was sorry to see it end because it meant leaving that universe (the book really draws you in)...
I also want to check out Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen, been meaning to for some time now but there are so many great books out there and so little time with school and all, hopefully i'll get round to it in a short while:D
If you want you can also try Yasushi Inoue, he is very good.

Sabenankh said:
I do know some things reguarding Mishima's byography but didn't know there was a book on it... i'll put the biography on my "to buy" list
I read 'The Life and Death of Yukio Mishima' by Henry Scott Stokes, I'd say it's a good rather than great biog, however it does succeed in giving you I idea of the man behind the writing; as I said, he was one strange cat.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2641850-4011040?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Sabenankh said:
I also want to check out Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen
I've not read that one I'm afraid. Of the ones I have, I'd say that 'Goodbye Tsugumi' is a good place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_3/103-2641850-4011040?v=glance&s=books
Sabenankh said:
If you want you can also try Yasushi Inoue, he is very good.
Ok, I've stuck 'The Hunting Gun' down on my TBR list.

regards,

K-S

Back