• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sandi Toksvig: Hitler's Canary

Nellie

ISBN: 978-0-440-86662-6

Published July 2006

Published By Corgi Childrens

Hitler's Canary is subtitled "A Daring Tale Of Wartime Adventure" and it didn't fall short of this. It is a fictionalised account of Toksvig's father's experiences of being a young boy in Denmark following the German invasion during World War Two.

Bamse and his friend Anton watch as their friends and family react in varying ways to the invasion, from a "don't rock the boat" attitude to all out resistance. Although frightened of the repercussions, they start to help Bamse's older brother with small acts of sabotage and are slowly drawn into the resistance in Copenhagen. It isn't until the Germans start to threaten the Jewish community that Bamse realises the significance of his friend's religion. Anton is Jewish. The community start to work together to hide their Jewish friends and help them to escape to Sweden, with Bamse playing a pivotal role in helping his friends escape.

There are many touching and amazing stories of bravery and resistance from the War, however this one is told with touch of humour about everyday life, without degrading the horror of it all. As the story started to pick up pace and the escape is on, I was so desperate to know what was going to happen I could barely read fast enough.

This is an exciting, touching and humbling book which I think boys in particular would love.

Back