• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sara Douglass

liv

So I was wandering around in the sci-fi/fantasy aisle of my favorite library, like I do when I am trying to find something to read but don't want to think too hard about it. I picked up a few books and looked at them, and then I decided on one and checked it out. I do this all the time, because, luckily, it works (for the most part) for this genre (although I do have to say I have only really tested this for fantasy novels). Anyway, the book I picked up last time I did this was The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass, which is also known as Battleaxe and is the first book of the Axis trilogy. So I was just wondering what you guys thought of her novels, since I just finished this one, and advice on whether I should continue with the series would be nice. I enjoyed the first book, although in some places it dragged a little, and the characters are a little too predictable. Comments?

Pretty much agree with you, I did enjoy the trilogy a lot but I have not bothered reading anymore of her books. Saying that it was her debut novel and for that I think it's great.

the whole plot has been done before, in various forms but she managed to inject a lively style.

Just checked out her website, Hmm may have to pick up some of those other books they look quite interesting, and enigmatic
My newest venture is The Troy Game, a four book series set for first publication in December 2002. It is a historical fantasy covering 3,000 years of British history, tracing the bizarre tale of the establishment of the Troy Game on the banks of the Thames in 1100BC and following it through to the conclusion of the Game during World War II. If you have ever wondered about the connections between hopscotch, the London Underground and the planned Nazi invasion of Britain, then read on.

I've read her Battle Axis and her Wayfarer Redemption series, and I enjoyed them, though, as Carlos said, they are not great, but enjoyable nonetheless. If you like her first trilogy then you should probably try the second one, beginning with Sinner. The second trilogy is not as good as the first, though still enjoyable, and Douglass has gone so far as to admit that the only reason why she wrote it was because her publishers talked her into it.

Thanks Carlos, those new series actually sound quite interesting. I'll have to look into them.

I've read some of The Wayfarer's Redemption series. I thought they were pretty good.

i think i would be a definite Sara Douglass fan.. i have all her books except for her non fiction book titled The Betrayal of Arthur, only because i haven't seen it anywhere yet... i have enjoyed all of her books very much, including the Crucible series.. but just because i have enjoyed them doesn't mean someone else will, you would have to read them for yourself to know for sure..

Back