• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sarah Kane

Maya

Sarah Kane was an English playwright, who I think is great! She has only written five plays, but all incredibly good.
“Crave” and “4.48 Psychosis” are my favourites.
Anyone else read anything by her or heard of her (or seen any of her plays)?

Yesterday evening I read "Blasted". I didn't know what to expect because I hadn't heard about it before. I was shocked! It is very violent and disturbing, showing all kinds of things I rather don't want to imagine. The play didn't leave the impression of horror with me, though. Beyond the violence, the images, there is far more to it. I can't really put it in words, there is a gentleness somehow shining through everything.
A very powerful play.

I just wish I knew what to expect, I couldn't sleep all too well last night.

How are her other plays, Maya? Is it the same style?

Hey Rigana,
I’m so glad you read it. I think she’s brilliant. There is something “different” to her style. I’m really not sure how to explain it, plus my English isn’t exactly terrific, so I apologize for that. I read her plays in which order they were given out, and if you are interested I’d suggest you do the same:
- Blasted
- Phaedra’s Love
- Cleansed
- Crave
- 4:48 Psychosis
- Skin
It’s something poetic, almost beautiful about her style, even though she is writing about horrible things.

Rigana said:
How are her other plays, Maya? Is it the same style?
Yes, I believe so, except ”Crave”. She actually published it under the pseudonym of Marie Kelvedon. It’s not violent. I’d call it a conversation between 4 people; 2 couples: A, B, C and D. It's kind og depressing.
I loved it!

Maya said:
Hey Rigana,
I’m really not sure how to explain it, plus my English isn’t exactly terrific, so I apologize for that.

It’s something poetic, almost beautiful about her style, even though she is writing about horrible things.

I know what you are talking about concerning your English. I'm regularly struggling for words.. :( ..but I think you got it quite right with your description. That was what astonished me the most while reading her play.

I think I will get a German edition featuring all her plays, just '"Skin" isn't included.

Back