• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sean Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanwrightfan

Has anyone else on this board heard of the author of children's fantasy fiction, Sean Wright who is based in King's Lynn, Norfolk? He is the author of the Jesse Jameson 'Alpha to Omega' Series. He is writing 26 books in the series, one for each letter of the Greek alphabet (plus two)! He is totally 'out there' on the edge of what is culturally acceptable: note how he is posing the classic gender question by giving Jesse (a girl) the male spelling of the name! I can't believe his publishers let him get away with such close-to-the-bone social commentary! I have read three of the books, "Jesse Jameson and the Golden Glow", "Jesse Jameson and the Curse of Caldazar" and "Jesse Jameson and the Bogie Beast". I am looking forward to the next one - 'Sean Wright's Jesse Jameson and the Vampire Vault'.

He has done well to get his books published by an independant publisher - CrowSwing Books who are based in King's Lynn, Norfolk. Many authors, some of whom can even spell, can't get published! He has also recently been elected to the Society of Authors, making him at least as good as loads of other famous writers.

Here's a quote from his recently published "Jesse Jameson and the Curse of Caldazar", which shows how great his books are:

"The High Witch, Zundrith, clung to the shadows of the twilight, muttering spells and casting curses into the towering waterfall. As each splash of freezing water fell, it instantly turned into another jagged tooth of ice. The riverbed was a mountainous mass of sparkling teeth that stretched high into the clouds, formed over centuries, ever increasing, and never melting. Though she wished more than anything to move - just one step - she was welded to the river bank. However, she knew who had tricked her, who had enslaved her for almost a thousand years. It would not be long before she was free, and then there would be mayhem and oceans of blood."

His writing (as you can tell) is brilliant and his imagination and storytelling ability make up for the occasional spelling mistake! I find the Jesse Jameson series fascinating and exciting - so God knows how thrilled I will be in October when his debut adult novel is released!

Who else has heard of Sean Wright? And what do you make of his books?

Yes! I have 'heard of' Sean Wright and I have been waiting for the opportunity to enter a discussion like this all my life! (Or at least for the 9 months or so that I have been loving his books; up until then, without realising it, I had in fact been waiting for Sean Wright's books all my life! Oddly enough, I first encountered them when a consignment of his books fell on my head in Ottakar's bookshop. After I emerged from the coma I found that all I wanted to do was read his books!)

Sean Wright is a great undiscovered writer. How to describe his stuff? Somewhere above Dickens but below Harlan Coben, I would say.

Certainly the world of Sean Wright's books is full of strangeness and coincidences. Who'd have thought, for example, that someone called Sean Wright also runs his publisher, CrowSwing Books!! Spook-ee! Here is a message from him on The Write Place forum:

Hi Beth,

My name is Sean Wright. I'm an independent UK publisher with three books 'out there' in the deep blue sea of words.

Your idea of forming an independent publishers' Organisation sounds intriging. What exactly do you have in mind?

Look forward from hearing from you soon.

Sean Wright (Crowswing Books)​

And that's not all! Even the people who review his books on Amazon are touched with the magickal wyrld of bizarre coincidence. For example there is someone called Frank Johns in Limerick, Ireland, who wrote a five-star review of a Jesse Jameson book on the Amazon UK site - and someone called Frank Johns from Smallsville, US, who posted a five-star review on the Amazon US site! And no fewer than three reviewers of Sean Wright's magic books spell "ingredience" (sic) in a funny way - just as Sean Wright does on the Shadow-Mania forum on 8 December 2003! How amazing that he has infected all his millions of real fans with his own magick spellings!

Anyway I have to have a lie down now under doctor's orders. When I return I will be writing to Top Gear to demand Sean Wright's immediate inclusion in the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car feature. Until then please fill me, SeanWrightFan, with tales of the man we both love. If only there was somewhere we could find out about his life and work in his own words.!!

Oh this is too much!

Both of you joining this forum and in your first post just happening to agree that this Wright fellow (who I've never even heard of, BTW) is the best thing since Dickens?

Hmmm, my cynicism is all fired up! :rolleyes:

Cy-ni-cism? Could you spell that for me?

All I know is that Wright's books exert such a magical hold on his readers and indeed on the very e-fabric of the internet itself that the very woof and miaow of time itself is disturbed (but not as disturbed as those who claim not to have heard of Sean Wright?!?!?. After all, he is the most famous writer in the world!!). How else would people be able to review his books before they are released, like this one from December 2002 when the book wasn't published until May 2003!! Be still my beating pants!

But I think what I most enjoy about the books is their commercial value as First Edition/First Printings. Only kidding! Imagine my amazement when the last reading copy of Jesse Jameson and the Bogie Beast I bought - I've worn out three now! (one sheet to wipe and one to polish, as my old mum used to say, and put the rest of the book back on the nail when you've finished) - was hugely valuable and rare first edition/first printing even though it was only £2.99 from some stupid Amazon Marketplace seller who obviously didn't realise its true worth! I can only presume the reason people want to sell these books off cheaply as quickly as they buy them is to spread the word of Sean Wright's greatness throughout the lands!

Sean Wright for the next Prime Minister but one!!

That was not an inducement for you to continue your deranged advertising!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is there anyone we can report this to?

Are all you people mad??

What may seem to you to be the desperate cynical ploy of a talentless fool, is actually the beginnings of a huge groundswell of good quality opinion that will see Sean Wright become the most famous ahildren's author EVER!

Didn't you know, for example, that the first, trailblazing Jesse Jameson book, Jesse Jameson and the Golden Glow, is now 174,000th in Amazon Sales Ranks? You people should get down from your ivory towers and see what the rest of the world is reading!

Let me introduce myself, Jude McBride. I bought this fantastic book - Jesse Jameson and the Golden Glow - after reading it a couple of months ago. For those unaware of this book, I discovered it quite by chance while looking up a website search on the Wright Bros - stumbling across the website www.seanwright.co.uk of the remarkable author of the Jesse Jameson books - Sean Wright.

It's a fantasy for children from 9+ and despite its Harry Potterish title, it's not at all like the Potter tales, except there are dragons and witches and wizards and trolls and goblins and ... well, breeds of folklore characters that have been around long before JK Rowling cottoned onto an eternal truth: most of us love magic and fairies. My own children have read it and couldn't stop laughing at some of the character's antics. This book turns a lot of traditional fairy-tale stories upside down, and Jesse Jameson is something else! She;s been called a fairy with a flame-throwing firearm and enough magic to nuke Mid-World, Middle-Earth and all the parallel universes Pullman has ever conjured.

Well, this book - the Golden Glow - is number one in a series of Jesse Jameson books that leading publishing figures such as Eddie Bell - former Harper-Collins President; Paul Moreton - Head of Puffin children's books in New York ; GP Taylor - bestselling author of Shadowmancer; Meg Cabot's agent in the UK, David Smith, and Caradoc King - Philip Pullman's agent - have all praised lavishly.

I am no publishing king or review whizz-kid, and nor do I have to be to know that this really is 'a classic in the making', happening without any big media hype or six figure advertising budgets. Word of mouth and the stuff between the pages - good solid classy writing, now that's what really hit me.

I couldn't agree more, seanwrightfan! And furthermore, have you noticed how all the positive reviews of Sean Wright's books on Amazon are simple and easy to understand and all say the same thing (proving that what they say is true), whereas the negative ones - the ones that suggest that the Jesse Jameson series are not only the worst books published in the last 50 years, but the worst human endeavours in history - are all detailed and boring like the reviews you would see in the literary pages of a newspaper? I think the bad reviews must be a joke. I mean look at these:

From the book review site curledup dot com:

This installment of Jesse Jameson [Curse of Caldazar] leaves a little something to be desired. The plot is rambling, the character development underdone, and Wright becomes too bogged down in the use of alien words.​

Or this from Amazon:

Any goodwill you might wish to extend towards [Jesse Jameson and the Golden Glow] is throughly undermined by the sheer ineptitude on display. The grammar is lazy, the spelling is atrocious; there's no tension; there's no sensation of 'place'.​

Or this, from an Amazon Top 100 reviewer:

Having read all three JJ books I am qualified to confirm that they are the worst books it has ever been my displeasure to encounter. They have no redeeming features at all.​

Or this, from a reviewer who has read over 1,200 children's books:

This book is hopelessly written, with its accumulation of absurd details, underlying plot holes and the clumsy writing, bumping along from one 'wry grin' to another. Had it been written without the clichéd step-family, the clichéd witches (written as though ugliness were their first and cardinal sin), without the internal inconsistencies, appalling mis-spellings and now-here, now-gone meaningless dangers-which-aren't, even then this book is a woefully poor read and I would certainly not let it near any child of my acquaintance.​

That's not funny!

Just to show that we are not just fans of one author though, Shade, have you heard of that other giant of speculative fiction - Graham Parsnip?

He is a real unknown quantity in literary circles, but if you serach on his name on Google you can read his online diaries, which are fascinating! He certainly has an interesting life. He is currently writing The Oligarchicon which will be a 3000 page work based in the Blaart star system! I recommend you look him up. Don't buy his children's book though - that's pretty weird!

Back to Wrighto. I love the Bogie Beast Book too!

What can I say about Jessie Jamieson and the Bogey Beast while my breath is still short, while my skin is still tingling, while my heart is still leaping about like an electrified fish on a hot tin suddenly last summer glass menagerie? Desire.

If you have a copy of the Oxford Companion to English Literature, you might as well burn it, because the whole history of the language and fiction has just been rewritten by Sean Wright. He is the greatest genius who ever lived. Throw out your Bibles, cut your first edition/first printing limited edition cloth parchment Iliad into dusters, because now that Jessie Jamieson is in town, they just look like a load of droppings. The only so-called 'writer' who is fit to lick the boots of Sean Wright is the other great genius of speculative fiction G.P. Taylor. And OK maybe Jeffrey Archer!

What I loved about Jessie Jamieson and the Bogey Beast was the length of the book and the depth of it, not to mention the width. It had many many characters of varying types, which is what all genius books should have. It was also beautifully written, and never ever laughable or coming across like the product of a broken mind, unlike some authors I could mention (are you listening G.*. T*yl*r!!). It also had action and adventure and funny things, like Maud and Claud and the Rumble and the Calm and the oily stuff and machines and shape-shifting challenges. The only thing missing was time travel - that would have made it even better - even though it couldn't be any better!

Already I am in the process of stitching the entire text of this book into a quilt, icing it onto big buns and etching it into tankards of holy crystal so that I can literally EAT, DRINK and SLEEP Jessie Jamieson! This book - and the other 25 in the series - is the greatest force for good in the world today.

And I say that as a middle-aged ethnically mixed man of rich tastes and with three young children of just the right age for these books. I am certainly not the author in disguise, or mad, I am a real person and I love Jessie Jamieson!!

Entertaining? Hey - there's nothing entertaining about Sean Wright's books!

Oh ... that came out wrong.

Anyway you will all be pleased to know that Sean Wright's bottomless abilities do not stop at creating the finest literature known to man (or woman, I suppose, as they are kid's books after all)! Oh dear me no! Have a look at his fascinating career summary on his website, including:

He co-managed the hugely popular all-girl Swedish band, Ice Age, in 1988-90, co-producing their MTV video, 'Instant Justice,' and co-ordinated their successful European tour, which saw them sell-out the London Hippodrome, and the famous Marquee Club. The band was also featured many times in Europe's music press pages, radio, and TV - being voted best all-girl group in the world in 1989 by Kerrang! magazine.​

In fact you will see that Sean Wright's success has covered many fields and he is fully legendary to all lovers of 80s power-pop, unpublished speculative fiction, Queen-Mother-flavoured watercolours and the teaching of children in the East Anglia region. I can exclusively reveal that the reason Sean Wright has pursued so many careers is that he gets to be so good at them, he has to move on to something else to stop dominating the scene and give others a chance! It's a bit like when a new TV programme becomes so successful that they have to move it around in the schedules - sometimes to the middle of the night - to give the other programmes a chance! In this sense Sean Wright is the Hale and Pace of modern literature. And I can't say any fairer than that.

Oh, and by the way, magemanda ....
Is there anyone we can report this to?
All you have to do, if you want to report something, is press the
report.gif
-button at the top right of each post. It will automatically be reported to all moderators.

Cheers

My favourite part is this

seanwrightfan said:
He is totally 'out there' on the edge of what is culturally acceptable: note how he is posing the classic gender question by giving Jesse (a girl) the male spelling of the name! I can't believe his publishers let him get away with such close-to-the-bone social commentary!
which was, as any fan of this thread should know, part of the first installment. After that, they sold out. :rolleyes:

Why would you want us to leave? After all we are just like you are: fans of great literature.

The one book I am looking forward to more than any other, though, is Sean Wright's The Twisted Root of Jaarfindor - his debut adult speculative fiction novel!

Using the familiar landscapes and many of the cultural ideas of the Jesse Jameson books, The Twisted Root of Jaarfindor tells the gripping tale of two space-time travellers on the Holy Pilgrimage to Brafindar, whose 'holy' purposes might not be quite as holy as they first appear.

Lia-Va is an eighteen year old black sword-wielding princess who has claimed her throne the traditional way of her people - by killing her father in battle. From the golden steps of Elriad's White Citadel she embarks on a strange and blood-thirsty journey aboard the pirate hovering sky-ship, Voyuer, to hunt down the fabled and fabulous twisted root which is said to be hidden beneath Brafindar in its chilling catacombs.

But, in the mythical sky-worlds of Elriad, Jaarfindor, and Finnigull, change is the only constant. Political power ebbs and flows, military might rises and falls, and not since Chaucer's Canterbury Tales has a book of pilgrimage held up the mirror of satire, scorn, and hilarity to reflect modern day society with alarming accuracy and clarity.

Yep, that's right! This was taken from Sean Wright's website - and he thinks this will be the best book since The Canturbury Tales! Why not visit the very sane author's own web pages and read an excerpt from this great work? Here's the link: http://www.seanwright.co.uk/51326.html. And check out that cover art work! Wright designs his own covers, though you wouldn't believe it, would you? Is there no beginning (or do I mean end?) to the man's talents? I don't think so!

And just in case you haven't had enough of Sean Wright (and who in their right minds has????!!!) here's a short extract from an interview with him. He is just so self-effacing...

Why do you like writing for children?
I've never grown up, I guess. I find children's literature fascinating. It's more open to the imagination, and my style of writing always tries to continue the Dahl and Ardagh tradition of taking language to the edge - of where? Good question - to the edge of silliness and satire, I guess. That's my hope.

He just seems such a likable guy!

And remember children - we haven't made any of this up! He's real! How wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back