• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Seeking an 'Urban/Contemporary' Fantasy Recommendation

mbaesq

I realize that this is yet *another* 'what books do you recommend' thread, but I hope y'all don't mind.

I'm looking for books to read on Urban/Contemporary fantasy, stories set in the real world in contemporary times (to quote wikipedia) "in which, it is revealed, magic and magical creatures secretly exist, either living in the interstices of our world or leaking over from alternate worlds."

Specifically I'm thinking of fantasy works involving mythical beings/creatures mixed with some of the grittier elements of 'the real world' like true crime or espionage.

I really don't want to cross into horror territory, so as far as tone, I'm thinking darker than JK Rowling's work but not so far into the darkness as HP Lovecraft!

I think Stephen Boyett work 'Ariel' would be one good example. I read some of Mercedes Lackey's work which might fit the bill but that was a long, long time ago.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

- mbaesq

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series is excellent. Series starts with Guilty Pleasures and the last book was Danse Macabre.

Since you liked the Mercedes Lackey books, how about other trying her other urban fantasy series? They are:
Diana Tregarde - starts with Burning Water
Bedlam Bard - starts with Bedlam's Bard
The Serrated Edge - starts with The Chrome Borne

There is much more information about her books on her website at http://www.mercedeslackey.com/

You might like Rachel Caine's series that starts with Ill Wind.

This website lists science fiction/fantasy books by theme http://www.scifan.com/themes/themes.asp?Th_themeid=133&Page=13&Items=30

Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I read it a long time ago and can't remember a whole lot about it but it has vampires. It's really good.
I'm reading War of the Flowers by Tad Williams right now which is about a guy who discovers another world (Faerie) and becomes drawn into a war. It's very good. I haven't finished it yet, but it's very promising.

Thank you!

Wow, what great suggestions! Thank you all for some excellent pointers to some good books. :D

- mbaesq

As someone else recommended, Neil Gaiman is an excellent author. Haven't read either of the books they mentioned, but I must say that he is super-excellent and you can only gain by reading him.

Fantasy Life by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It's set on the Oregon coast, in a mythical county that fits quite nicely into existing reality. Interestingly enough, it's the only book set in Oregon that I have run across that has had an authentic-feeling Oregon voice... though I'm not sure what makes me feel that way. The copy I read was the library's--- I've recently purchased it simply to try and figure out what it is about the story that feels so authentic... not to mention, it's a darn good read.

Back