• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

shannara series by terry brooks????

james-88

Can anyone tell me the chronological order of all of the books conserning the shannara series. I want the chronological order of them in terms of the history and events in the books itself, not in order of when they were actually written. thanks

ok. i pulled all of this from this web site
there are some omnibuses included, and some i haven't read, but these are the Shannara books as best as i can pull together for you:

Shannara

1. The Sword of Shannara (1977)
2. The Elfstones of Shannara (1982)
3. The Wishsong of Shannara (1985)

First King of Shannara (1996)

Heritage of Shannara

The Guide to Shannara (1986) (with Teresa Patterson)
1. The Scions of Shannara (1990)
2. The Druid of Shannara (1991)
3. The Elf Queen of Shannara (1992)
The Heritage of Shannara (omnibus) (1993)
4. The Talismans of Shannara (1993

Voyage of the Jerle Shannara

1. Ilse Witch (2000)
2. Antrax (2001)
3. Morgawr (2002)
Sword of Shannara

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (omnibus) (2002)
1. In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (2003)
2. The Druids' Keep (omnibus) (2003)
3. The Secret of the Sword (2003

High Druid of Shannara

1. Jarka Ruus (2003)
2. Tanequil (2004)

btw, check out the length between the first in the series and any consequent books, and then the span between The Heritage set and the Voage of the Jerle Shannara set
(all you moaners need to just hush up about the delays in between books)

In terms of chronological happenings in the book, The First King is a prequel to the events that happen in the Sword of Shannara.

I fell into that trap too and found out I had bought Lord of the Rings instead . . . no, wait . . .

I read the Sword of Shannara as one of my first forays into fantasy, and would have loved it - barring the fact I'd recently read the Lord of the Rings, which is shamelessly plagiarises all the way through. Despite that, it is a fairly good book to read, although the Elfstones of Shannara is by far my favourite.

yeah, its no secret that the first shannara book copied much of its plot outline from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
but, give the guy some credit......he did manage to write all those other books without swiping the ideas for them

First of all I'd like to say hello, this being my first post here.

Now to the reason I posted. I just finished what I thought was the Shannara series, starting with "The First King of Shannara" and ending with "The Wishsong of Shannara". Now I see that there are at least 6 or 7 more books bearing the name Shannara. My question is how are they related? I know they were written at different times but do they all follow a chronological order are the newer books taking place before the 4 I just read or at some time in between? I'm not sure if I want to get into them already knowing the end?

Thanks. It helps some, but I'm still not sure where these newer books fit in. It seems that they take place after "The First King of Shannar", but before "The Sword of Shannara". Is this correct?

If so, why would anybody rean them, knowing the ultimate end that takes place in "The Wishsong of Shannara", which by the way doesn't really come to a definate closure and hints of at least another book that might take place in the even farther future? Or am I confused?

So is the series worth reading? because all I've heard is that its Lord of the Rings with name changes.

Sword of Shannara is a pretty blatant ripoff of LotR, but the rest is not.
As far as the question about whether to read the rest of the series, each is a different set. By that i mean that Brooks the different series in completely different times from the others, close enough that there is some bearing between the series, but not enought o really have the same charater sets.
I don't think you'll be diappointed if you decide to read all of them.
Just remember the adage "As one story ends, another always begins."

Yeah, agreed that sword is just LOTR with name changes. It's pretty much word for word rip off. I really don't understand how he got away with that and not get sued! My hat of to you sir! ( Note: May not actually own hat )

Having said that, if you can take that it's a total rip off, then it's a good read. He writes very well. I did like the other two books in the cycle.

I have not read the other books that he wrote after those.

I realy liked his Magic Kingdom for sale books. Has anybody read those? :)

MEYERTREE said:
Sword of Shannara is a pretty blatant ripoff of LotR, but the rest is not.
As far as the question about whether to read the rest of the series, each is a different set. By that i mean that Brooks the different series in completely different times from the others, close enough that there is some bearing between the series, but not enought o really have the same charater sets.
I don't think you'll be diappointed if you decide to read all of them.
Just remember the adage "As one story ends, another always begins."
Wow i just finished reading The Sword of Shannara, while i can say i enjoyed it i can't believe this guy actually got past his first book by completely ripping off many of the themes in LOTR. Again i stress i did enjoy the story but it almost made me laugh out loud sometimes when a part would be completly taken from LOTR. I was waiting for Shea to toss the Sword of Shannara in the fires of Mordor.

Back