• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shirley Jackson:The Lottery And Other Stories

Nellie

ISBN: 978-0-141-19143-0

Published: 2009

Published By: Penguin Modern Classics

The Lottery And Other Stories is an anthology of Shirley Jackson’s short stories and many people may well have read The Lottery as it is one of her most famous pieces of writing and caused an outcry when it was first published in 1948. The story centres around a macabre lottery in a small community which left me quite horrified. The book contains a variety of stories, some of which combine ordinary life with elements of the occult and horror. The strongest theme for me however, was “lost opportunities”. All the protagonists are trapped in their mundane lives, wondering if it could be better and in one way or another they don’t spot a wonderful opportunity that would improve things and carry on oblivious to what they have missed. I was particularly moved by “The Flower Garden” about a woman trapped in an unsatisfactory marriage. She meets a lady who lives down the road and it seems as though a wonderful and fulfilling friendship will develop until a decision by one of the women leads to the community pressurising the relationship. This is a sensitively observed piece about how racism does not need to be violent to be damaging. Other stories explore why children with talent may choose to hide it and how loneliness can drive people to behave in extreme ways.

The stories are thought provoking and wise and draw the reader in by the ordinariness of their setting and characters. The Lottery however is one of the most shocking things I have ever read, sadly because although fiction, I fear it could easily be reality.

This is the first time I have read any of her work and I was very impressed, I will certainly read more!

I have read The Lovely House.I have been trying to find it online but can't.:sad: If you come across it,let me know.

We also read We Always Lived in a Castle for BOTM.:)

I loved The Haunting of Hill House and the short story The Lottery.
I have We Have Always Lived in the Castle on my bookshelves TBR.

Has anyone read Life Among the Savages? Is it any good?

Back