• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Should I get rid of the frames?

Should I remove the frames?

• Yes, get rid of the frames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep the frames

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Darren

Should I remove the frames from the site, and place the top logo onto each page (won't take me long as I use a template system for the site)?

If I remove the top frame, are the nav buttons better at the top, or in the side column?

Hi Darren,

The problem with frames is that they are shown in a different way by different browsers. IE5.5 shows me the top frame correctly. NS4.75 shows it wrong, I get a scrollbar at the right and the buttons for the navigation is not shown in total. I can send you a screenshot oif you want to ...

I don't know if you need the navigation in the top frame. Every page contains the navigation at the left side and maybe you can insert this navigation in the forum-header too ...

/Holger

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that netscape doesn't display things properly. I've only ever used it once and didn't like it. I'm running IE6 at the moment.

I might install Netscape and see if I can sort that problem out.

Looking at the stats for the site, only 1% of all visitors are using Netscape. Most people are using IE 5 or 6.

Well, I've been thinking about this for quite a while, and when I next modify the site design, I'm going to get rid of the frames, and integrate the navigation into the header area.

The advantages will include:
1. Better compatability with Netscape.
2. Easier to bookmark specific areas/threads of the forum and website.

Keep the suggestions coming. It's the only way I can improve the site and make it better :)

Darren.

Back