• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Smart Tolkien

I read that story in The Globe and Mail, and what's even more astonishing is this:

"More intriguing still is that long before the Flores crew found the new species, they had been told by local residents of a strange little people who lived there in caves, said Henry Gee, a paleontologist and a senior editor of Nature.

Locals could describe them in detail, including their habits and which caves they were associated with. Locals spoke of sightings as recently as when the Dutch took over the island, less than two centuries ago."

See article here: Globe & Mail

I don't think there was any doubt he was an intelligent man. I think most consider him an amazing linguist if you look at some of his work, he just can't write. Although, I'm not sure how this discovery really gives Tolkein credit for anything except having characters that were popular in the public domain and therefore are being identified with this find.

Very interesting article though, saw it this morning.

True@1stLight said:
I don't think there was any doubt he was an intelligent man. I think most consider him an amazing linguist if you look at some of his work, he just can't write.

Sums up my feelings on him.

That's pretty cool but I hate that Tolkien comparison.

Millennia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting dogs.

It even had a dragon, although they were giant lizards like today’s carnivorous Komodo dragons rather than the treasure-hoarding Smaug described by novelist J.R.R. Tolkien in his “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.
Just because this species is small it's not a Hobbit. That's science and they make crap out of it! It sounds like a commercial.

Yeah, I agree with you. I hate the Tolkien comparison also. Can't they report a scientific breakthough without dumbing it down?

I also want to add that we live in such an amazing world full of wonders that, often, we cannot even dream are possible. I like stories like this because they remind me of that and fill me with a sense of wonder.

it's a sign of the times that they have to compare the story to the latest Hollywood hit in order to make the science of it seem interesting. there are good and bad connotations to it, really.

ps - LOVE LOVE the new avatar SillyWabbit :)

Jenem said:
ps - LOVE LOVE the new avatar SillyWabbit :)

hehe, or seeing as it's Halloween then maybe that should be MMMMhahahah!

Anyway... thank you :)

Gizmo said:
What a scary little critter you are! Maybe you should see a vet and check for rabies!?

:eek: NO WAY!!!! Last time I went to the vet he put on a rubber glove and stuck it... well... somewhere....

Anyway, be afraid, be very afriad! MHAHAHAHAHAH! Whatever you do, don't feed me after midnight! ;)

Damn, your right!

We better not feed her after midnight. What does happen to her after midnight, anyway?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, sounds promising! I'll bring her some choccies at 2am! I'm sure she will be happy to see me at 2am :D

Personally, if anybody want's to bring me free chocolate you are more than welcome to come to my place any time of the night! I may even share a few with you!

pfft. I would only keep MOST of them for myself! :D

You are special babe, I would give you at LEAST 5 chocolates and maybe even anything up to ... 10!!!!!

OK, see you about 2am, bring many chocolates! :D

( there's no harm in trying right? lol )

Back