• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Social Implications of Land

holstein_13

I am searching for a book regarding the social aspects of land. I would prefer that the book relate to a country other than the U.S. and that it be a memoir. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rabbit-Proof Fence is the true story of the Australian Government's disruption of the traditional Aboriginal migration paths, particularly how this affected two young girls. It was also made into a movie with Kenneth Branagh a few years ago.

There is also Soil: A Portrait of Rural Life in Meiji Japan, a classic of the genre. It's a novel, but is supposed to be very realistic and historically accurate.

A memoir along the same lines is Our Land Was a Forest: An Ainu Memoir, about the people and land of Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan.

Your request is kind of general, so I'm not sure what aspect of land you want to look at. There are loads of books about native land claims and several about landed gentry. There's also much about China's Cultural Revolution and the effect that property seizure had on various populations. Wild Swans is a great memoir set in this period, but it's not specifically about land.

I know you're not interested in the US, but The Geography of Nowhere is more about contemporary development issues and their social implications, focusing on an upstate NY town (Saratoga).

Back