• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Solved - Outliers: The Story of Success Malcolm Gladwell

Gilgamesh

I read this book not too long ago. It discussed about how communications between an airplane captain and co-captain were causing problems with decision making to guide the plane to safety. The main problem was the language that was being spoken.

After NTSB or some international investigation, the airline went through whole re-training, and the airliner were to use English language only because of problem of clear communication in the language that the pilot, co-pilot were using.

After this re-training the airliner had improved their safety record from many crashes to almost 0 crashes.

I'm thinking I read this out of one of Malcolm Gladwell's books, but after reading all the excerpts, I think I'm wrong, and I cannot recall where I read about this.

I'm thinking I read this out of one of Malcolm Gladwell's books,
In Outliers: The Story of Success Malcolm tells about Korean Air.
Korean Air had more plane crashes than almost any other airline in the world for a period at the end of the 1990s. When we think of airline crashes, we think, Oh, they must have had old planes. They must have had badly trained pilots. No. What they were struggling with was a cultural legacy, that Korean culture is hierarchical. You are obliged to be deferential toward your elders and superiors in a way that would be unimaginable in the U.S. Source

Back