• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Some "High" Level Non-Fiction Titles Needed

nomadic myth

I'm making a huge book list for my school's students. I'm at a school in Korea where the students' English ability is well above average. They're very much at the point where they are reading original texts. I have three levels on my list: intermediate, high, and advanced. Most areas are filled out, but my weak area is "high" level non-fiction.

Some titles I'm classifying as "high" level are The Diary of Anne Frank, The Story of My Life by Helen Keller, Never Cry Wolf, and Go Ask Alice. Those are under "Great Books". Also, under "Popular Titles" I have books such as the Chicken Soup for the Soul series.

For "intermediate" I'm basically using Newbery and Sibert Medal winners, and for "advanced" I'm using books like Utopia, A Brief History of Time and A Short History of Nearly Everything as "Literature", "Great Books", and "Popular Titles" respectively.

For your intermediate list, you can't go wrong with Albert Marrin. He has a long list of biographies and historical titles for the age 9+ group. Check him out at amazon for specific titles that fit your program. My son is currently reading his bio of Napolean Bonaparte and enjoying it very much.

A few titles you might try

I'm not quite sure about the level of these, but I teach eighth grade and some of my students have read these in the past:

I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story - Aaron
Two Years Before the Mast - Dana
"Self-Reliance" - Emerson
Death be Not Proud - Gunther
All Creatures Great and Small (etc.) - Herriot
Hiroshima - Hersey
The Last Days of Socrates - Plato (not as difficult as it sounds)
I Am Third - Sayers
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Hiding Place - Ten Boom
Walden - Thoreau
"On Civil Disobedience" - Thoreau
Farewell to Manzana - Wakastsuki
Night - Elie Wiesel

Hope these help!

Back