• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone reccomend me something

gelr

I'm really just getting into Science Fiction now and need to know, what should I read? I really enjoyed Signal to Noise by Eric Nylund if that helps.

Arthur Clake's Space Odessy series is essential.
Also Revelation Space and its sequels by Alastair Reynolds.
Dune by Frank Herbert.
The Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny.

Hi

I second Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It's a great space opera and one of the best books I have read. It is a REAL pager turner with each chapter seeming to end in a cliff hanger! I have Chasam City on my book shelf waiting to be read :)

You could also try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. It's a hard boiled PI book set far in the future. Action packed, violent and another page turner.

And, last but by no means least. If you are brave. I mean REALLY brave and you have far too much time on your hands then you could try the Night Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. Good stuff although he tends to get carried away a bit and I personally was a bit disappointed by the ending... but that is just me. All in all they are great books. Each book weighs in at well over 1000 pages though. First books in the trillogy are: The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God.

Ummm, thats all for now
happy reading!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Wabbit, we have scarily similar tastes!!

I absolutely loved Altered Carbon, its one of the best debut novels ive read - shame the follow-up seemed a bit dry in comparison though.

I also love Peter Hamilton - Fallen Dragon was a great read and im just starting out on the Night's Dawn Trilogy!

Phil

I loved Altered Carbon, the problem with Broken Angels wasn't that it was inferior, just different. I way prefered the detective type feel.

Originally posted by phil_t
Wabbit, we have scarily similar tastes!!

I absolutely loved Altered Carbon, its one of the best debut novels ive read - shame the follow-up seemed a bit dry in comparison though.

I also love Peter Hamilton - Fallen Dragon was a great read and im just starting out on the Night's Dawn Trilogy!

Phil

You should enjoy the Night Dawn trilogy! For all it's faults, it's one HELL of a ride :) I hope you do enjoy it! I would be interested to know what you think.

I will have to give Fallen Dragon a go :) I have not read Broken Angels, although I did love Altered Carbon. I read that the second one really was not that great. As said by another in this thread, I just prefer the detective feel.

Have you read any of the Alaster Reynold's books? Give them a go, You are sure to love em if you are into space opera!

Best Regards
Wabbit

If you are just getting into SF, you might try some of the classics-
Dune series by Frank Herbert
Foundation series by Issac Asimov
Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke
Ringworld series by Larry Niven
Heechee series by Frederick Pohl
Those are a few that come to mind immediately. If you haven't read Jules Verne you might like that- I found it interesting to see how some of his predictions came true.

Another vote for Alaistair Reynolds and only half a vote for the Night's Dawn Trilogy. Maybe if you just read the first two books and made up your own ending it would be better. Because for me, the ending completely ruined what had been created in these three, otherwise fantastic, books.

I'd like to add Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, to the list. One of my favourite books of ever, and a nice easy read too. Which, after reading your way through some particularly heavy sci fi, is often just what you need.

I'd like to add Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, to the list. One of my favourite books of ever, and a nice easy read too. [/B]

I've heard this is a great book also... I havent read it yet, but i am as soon as i get the chance ;-)

I wouldn't say Ender's Game was the best book ever, but it was certainly enjoyable.

I'd add any Philip K. Dick book to the list. In my opinion he is the best SF story teller, although he is not the best writer. Also Alfred Bester.

Originally posted by igkuk7
Also Alfred Bester.

The Demolished Man definitely. I got an anthology of sci fi stories when I was a kiddy. The book contained The Demolished Man, I Robot, The Day of the Triffids and 2001. And it was because of the stories in that book that I got into reading science fiction, so I would definitely recommend any one of them.

Yes, it's a great book. Btw, it's Neil Gaiman and not gayman. If you call him gayman he may become cross and hit you with a stick!

Have you tried his other stuff? Stardust and American Gods are very good. If you like Neverwhere you should also like those. :)

Regards
Sillwabbit

Quick copy and paste- pick and choose those for which the blurbs sound appealing:

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams
Foundation Trilogy (Foundation/Foundation and Empire/Second Foundation) - Isaac Asimov
I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
Cities in Flight - James Blish
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
Startide Rising - David Brin
Stand on Zanzibar - John Brunner
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card
Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke
Mission of Gravity - Hal Clement
Dhalgren - Samuel R. Delany
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick
Ubik - Philip K. Dick
To Your Scattered Bodies Go - Philip Jose Farmer
Neuromancer - William Gibson
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
Dune - Frank Herbert
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
The Dispossessed - Ursula Le Guin
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
Gateway - Frederik Pohl
Mars Trilogy (Red/Green/Blue Mars) - Kim Stanley Robinson
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Dying Inside - Robert Silverberg
City - Clifford D. Simak
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Norstrilia - Cordwainer Smith
Star Maker - Olaf Stapledon
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
More Than Human - Theodore Sturgeon
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
A Deepness in the Sky - Vernor Vinge
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny

igkuk7 said:
Now that is a good recommendation list!

Well it wasn't my list, but it's the crib sheet I'm working from at the moment, and I can't say I've been dissapointed thus far (I'm 2/3 of the way through).

I've read 18 of them, all fantastic, except perhaps More Than Human, but I must own at least 4/5 of them.

gelr said:
I'm really just getting into Science Fiction now and need to know, what should I read? I really enjoyed Signal to Noise by Eric Nylund if that helps.
It's easy to throw out book names, but if I new a bit more about what you like and your reading level I could do a better job. I don't know the book you mentioned, so maybe a few more that you have read and liked? Not knowing those things there are still a few books that I would recommend for almost anyone. These often appear on young adult reading lists, but I have reread them as an adult and find new things to enjoy.

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Have Space Suit, Will Travel - Robert Heinlein - this and the next are quick and easy reads
The Rolling Stones - Robert Heinlein
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein (If you like war stories)
Lord Valentine's Castle - Robert Silverberg
Foundation - Isaac Asimov (the whole trilogy is worth reading)

Back