• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sport

Stephen

kickbox
Anyone watch/play sport?

I used to eat/drink/sleep football (soccer, to people over the pond:p ), when I was younger. I used to play any spare moment I could. It doesn't interest me much now I don't play anymore, and find it hard to sit through a whole match. I still like to look at the results to see who's won. I still have a soft spot for Liverpool FC.

I like to watch Tennis when its on TV, mainly Wimbledon.

Could never get away with Cricket, just don't find it interesting.:(

Any sport fans out there:)

Oddly enough, I find myself watching more and more golf (especially the Majors). 9 times out of 10, it is deadly dull, but that other 1 is usually pretty high drama.

My favourite sport is hockey (ice, not field). But I also like watching basketball, tennis, figure skating, and occasionally, golf.

I've tried to watch football (the North American kind), but can't really get too excited about it.

I also like watching World Cup matches, but don't watch much soccer at other times. Probably because I haven't found a team to 'root' for. Games are more interesting when you have a favourite to cheer for, don't you think?

originally posted by Stephen:
find it hard to sit through a whole match

Yes, at times it may be tedious. That's why I'm glad that my dad always calls me when a goal was scored, so I can see a replay. But sometimes I happen to see whole matches, especially when Champions League and World Cup are reaching their finals.

I also watch tennis (Grand Slam, mostly), figure skating (which is both interesting and annoying because each time I have a feeling that judges were unfair...again) and volleyball. In my opinion, volleyball is most exciting, maybe because everything happens so fast.

Originally posted by Ell
I also like watching World Cup matches, but don't watch much soccer at other times. Probably because I haven't found a team to 'root' for. Games are more interesting when you have a favourite to cheer for, don't you think?

Yeah, I like watching the World Cup, and it does make it more interesting when you have a team to support. Unfortunatly England never seem to do very well in World Cup games.

Originally posted by Idun
Yes, at times it may be tedious. That's why I'm glad that my dad always calls me when a goal was scored, so I can see a replay. But sometimes I happen to see whole matches, especially when Champions League and World Cup are reaching their final

Yeah, the knockout stages of the Champions League can get exciting. Last seasons matches between Man Utd and Real Madrid were exciting.

If these two teams play each other next season it should be interesting with David Beckham just signing for Real.

Originally posted by funes
Oddly enough, I find myself watching more and more golf (especially the Majors). 9 times out of 10, it is deadly dull, but that other 1 is usually pretty high drama.

Do you have a favorite player you like to follow?

I don't know too many golf players, but I like to see Tiger Woods playing, but it's rare that I watch golf.

I wouldn't say I have a favorite. I do pay closer attention when Tiger is playing because you never know when he'll do something astounding. I think half of my interest is really in the courses rather than the players.

Originally posted by Stephen
If these two teams play against each other the next season it may be interesting with David Beckham just signing for Real

I don't think that this change of clubs will make any difference. Like it didn't during matches Real versus Juventus, with Zinedine Zidane having previously been a player of Juve.

I agree with Ell, that having a favourite team or competitor to support definitely makes a game more fascinating. It probably plays a significant part in gathering all nations in front of TV sets during important competitions. People just want to know how their compatriots will do, even if they are not fond of that particular kind of sport itself.

I only watch sport. Mostly tennis (not only because of Clijsters/Henin/Malisse; I watch some of the other games as well), and sometimes, when I'm really bored, figure skating or something else, but that's very rare.

Originally posted by Idun
I don't think that this change of clubs will make any difference. Like it didn't during matches Real versus Juventus, with Zinedine Zidane having previously been a player of Juve.

The tabloid press in Britain would probably try to make a big deal over the Beckham vs Fergie situation.

The press would love it.

Probably you're right with the press. This is mostly due to the fact that Beckham is usually an interesting subject for the press, because he sometimes seems to care more for his public image than football. Or at least this is what I think.

This is mostly due to the fact that Beckham is usually an interesting subject for the press, because he sometimes seems to care more for his public image than football.
Being from across the pond, I don't know much about the players, EXCEPT Beckham. I guess it's a double-edged sword: People know him and become interested in the sport, but his personality can overshadow his team.

It will now be a bit difficult for Beckham to overshadow Zidane, Figo, Raul and Roberto Carlos. Together with Beckham, they are five the most recognisable football (soccer) players in the world. Don't know if it is a good idea to put them all into one team.
I wonder who will Real buy next year...

TMC, although I haven't started this thread, I suppose that any sport that you enjoy may be included.;)

Well if they all ever want to come and play for QPR then i think they'd be welcome :p We could do with someone without two left feet!

I play Footie, Rugby and Cricket (Yes, Cricket!)

I love to watch the above, plus Tennis, Ice Hockey, Baseball, American Football, and i too have recently become strangly addicted to Golf :p

Incidentally, who thinks England are going to get trashed by South Africa in this series (Cricket)?

It's a shame that we won't have any occasion to admire Pete Sampras fighting on the court. When such a great player - a living legend, in fact - finishes carrier, it's like an end of some era in tennis. The ceremony of saying farewell to him at U.S. Open must have been very touching. I wish I had seen it.

Back